(Last Updated on : 05-10-2019)
Bardhaman came to be existed as a separate administrative unit, when Sangam Rai established Bardhaman Raj in 1657.The district owes its historical importance as a head quarter of the maharajas of Bengal & during the reign of Jahangir the region was also known as the Bandh-e dewan (means the district headquarter).
The founder of the Bardhaman Raj, Sangam Rai belonged to the Kapoor Khatri family of Kotli whose descendants served both the Mughals & the British Raj. Therefore Bardhaman was an important site for both the Mughals & the British. The native rulers ruled the district most of the times though under the direct control of the Mughals & the British Raj.The great prosperity of the Raj was due to the excellent administrative management of Maharaja Mahtab Chand during the turmoil of the Santhal Rebellion, for which he was rewarded with a grant of arms in 1868 & a personal acknowledgment of 13 guns in 1877. Maharaja Bijai Chand Mahatab consecrated on the throne of Bardhaman, who chiefly earned distinction due to his indomitable courage.The native rulers of Bardhaman were mainly known for their sheer allegiance to the British Raj.
Though the native rulers were never disloyal to the British Raj, they struggled their best for the economical & cultural upliftment of their native land and during the reign of Mahtab Chand Bahadur & Bijoy Chand Mahatab, the region was affluent both culturally & economically. The principal educational institute, Bardhaman Raj College was established almost under the benefaction of the maharaja's estate. They were the ardent patron of art & culture. Poets like Sadhak Kamalakanta, composer of devotional songs, Kashiram Das, poet & translator of the Mahabharata etc. are the products of their solemn patronage. The town also existed as the important seat of the north Indian classical music.