(Last Updated on : 20/05/2010)
History of Pauri Garhwal District suggests that through the ages, the evolution of human civilization in this region of Garhwal Himalaya
has been parallel to the rest of Indian sub-continent. Katyuri was the first historical dynasty, which ruled over unified Uttarakhand
and left some important records in the form of inscriptions and temples. In the later period after the downfall of the Katyuris, it is believed that the Garhwal region was fragmented in more than sixty-four principalities ruled by a chieftain, one of the principal chieftainship was Chandpurgarh. In the mid of 15th century A.D. Chandpurgarh emerged as a powerful principality under the rule of King Jagatpal (1455 A.D to 1493 A.D.), who was a descendent of Kanakpal. Towards the end of 15th century AD King Ajaypal enthroned Chandpurgarh and ruled the region. Subsequently, his kingdom came to be known as Garhwal and he transferred his capital from Chandpur to Devalgarh before 1506 AD and later on to Srinagar
during 1506 to 1519 A.D.
King Ajaypal and his successors ruled the region of Garhwal
for nearly three hundred years even during this period they had faced a number of attacks from Kumaon, Mughals, Sikhs and Rohillas. An important event in the history of Pauri Garhwal District was Gorkha invasion. It was marked by extreme brutality. After conquering Doti and Kumaon, Gorkhas attacked Garhwal despite stiff resistance put up by the Garhwali forces. But in the meantime, news came of a Chinese invasion and the Gorkhas were forced to lift the siege. However, in 1803, they again mounted an invasion. After capturing Kumaon, they attacked Garhwal in three columns. Eventually, the Gorkhas became the masters of entire Garhwal in 1804 and ruled the territory for twelve years.
The rule of Gorkhas in Garhwal area ended in 1815 after the British invasion in the region. After the defeat of Gorkha army, the British rulers on 21st April 1815, decided to establish their rule over the eastern, half of Garhwal region, which lies east of Alaknanda River
river. The remaining part of Garhwal in the west was restored to King Sudarshan Shah who established his capital at Tehri. Initially the administration was entrusted to the commissioner of Kumaon and Garhwal with headquarters at Nainital
, but later Garhwal was separated and formed into a separate district in the year 1840 under an assistant commissioner with his headquarter at Pauri
. In early 1960, Pauri Garhwal District and Chamoli District
was curved out of Garhwal district.