(Last Updated on : 13/04/2013)
According to the history of Chamoli District, the region covered by the present district of Chamoli formed part of Pauri Garhwal District of Kumaon till 1960. Today's Garhwal was known as kedar-khand in the past. In the Puranas kedar-khand was said to be the abode of God. It seems from historical facts that these Hindu scriptures are scripted in kedar-khand. Mention of this region is also found in Rig Veda
and other Vedic literature
. The authentic script about the history of Chamoli District
dates back to 6th century A.D.
Some historian and scientists believe that this land is origin of Arya race. It is believed that around 300 B.C. Khasa invaded Garhwal
through Kashmir, Nepal and Kumaon. A conflict grew due to this invasion and a conflict took place between the outsiders and natives. The natives for their protection built small forts called "Garhi''. Later on Khasa defeated the native and captured the forts. After Khasas, Kshatriyas invaded this land. Further, according to history of Chamoli District, King Bhanu Pratap was the first ruler of Panwar dynasty in Garhwal who founded Chandpur-Garhi as his capital. This was the strongest garh out of the fifty- two Garhs of Garhwal. The devastating earthquake of September, 1803 weakened the economic and administrative set up of Garhwal state. Taking advantage of the situation Gorkhas attacked Garhwal. They established there reign over half of the Garhwal in 1804. Up to 1815 this region remained under the Gorkha rule.
Mean while the king of Panwar dynasty Raja Sudarshan Shah contacted east India Company and requested for help. With the help of British forces he defeated Gorkhas and merged the eastern part of Alaknanda River
and Mandakini, holy stream
. From that time this region came to be known as British Garhwal and the capital of Garhwal was set up at Tehri. In the beginning British ruler kept this area under Dehradun
and Saharanpur. But later on the British established a new district in this area and named it Pauri. Today's Chamoli was a tehsil of the same .On 24th of February, 1960 tehsil Chamoli was upgraded to a new district. In October 1997 two complete tehsils and two other blocks (partially) of Chamoli District were merged into a new formed District Rudraprayag. Chamoli, carved as a separate revenue district in 1960 out of the erstwhile Garhwal district, lies in the Central Himalayas and constitutes a part of the celebrated 'Kedar Kshetra' of Uttarakhand