(Last Updated on : 31/12/2013)
Leisure tourism in Nadia district is like a walk down the roads of modern history of India. There are a number of places of historical significance that are located in the historical worth. The various places of leisure tourism in Nadia district are discussed below.
Among historical places, Palashi
(Plassey) is of prime interest. Located at a distance of about 50 Km from Krishnanagar, this is the site where the famous Battle of Plassey
was fought on 23rd June, 1757 between the last independent ruler of Bengal, Nawab Siraj Ud Daula
(1756-1757) and the British forces under the command of Lord Robert Clive
. This was a most decisive battle as it marked the advent of the British rule in erstwhile Bengal and in India as a whole. A memorial stone to mark the victory of the British was erected here in 1883. This structure, built sometime during the later period of Lord Curzon's
administration, stands tall even to this day.
is located near Bamanpukur Bazar on the way to Mayapur. It is situated at a distance of about 25 Kms from Krishnanagar. The excavation work was started here by the Archaeological Survey of India
in the early 1980s. It revealed a unique structural complex covering nearly 13,000 Sq. meters All of this is centred around a mound (Dhipi) having a height of 9 metres. This complex identifies itself with the Vikramsila Vihar. Experts say that this side of Stupa (Vihar) of eighth or ninth century was perhaps a seat of learning and pilgrimage up to the eleventh century.
is the district headquarters situated on the bank of Jalangi River. Krishnanagar is named after Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 - 1782). The Rajbari built here during the reign of Raja Krishna Chandra Rai is a prominent place of tourist attraction though the remnants of past glory have been eroded away and only a dilapidated structure of the exquisite places with carving on its inner walls exists today. Krishnanagar was the birth place of the noted poet, composer and playwright Shri. Dwijendra Lal Roy
(1863 - 1913), whose contribution to Bengali Literature
has been immense. The Christian Missionaries attached much importance to Krishnanagar. The Protestant Church was built here during 1840s. The Roman Catholic Cathedral was built in 1898. The origin of the famous clay models of Krishnanagar is at Ghurni. The clay model artists of Ghurni have won international repute and fame for their excellence in clay modelling.
A forest covering about 67 hectares is located at Bethuadahari
which is situated at a distance of about 22 kilometres from Krishnanagar. This forest is actually an extended Deer Park. The forest was established in 1980 to preserve the bio-diversity of the central Gangetic alluvial zone. A census of 1998 reveals a population of 295 deer in this forest. Other wildlife in the region includes python, jungle cat, porcupine
, monitor lizard
, snakes and a variety of birds.