Established in the year of Independence, 1947, the museum is a wonder for its archaeological storage. It is exactly located in the Town Hall Road. It is generally famous all over India for its collection of murals and relics from the whole of Kerala. There are also life-size statues of the renowned personalities of the past. In addition to all these there are also pottery wares, beads, iron implements, stone implements, wooden models of temples, Indus Valley specimens, stucco head of Gandhara art, plastic models of sculptures through the ages, churches, Ajanta and Bagh caves, few bronzes and a few collection of coins.
The museum remains open from 8am to 5pm except on Mondays, Independence Day, Republic Day, Thiru Onam and Gandhi Jayanti.