(Last Updated on : 15/02/2014)
With several other factors making Kolkata a bright city in the whole of India, the cultural, art, sculpture, architecture and archaeology of Kolkata are also striking features of the city creating a difference in its own.
Built in 1962, the State Archaeological Museum of Kolkata houses the rare tools of the Early, Middle and the Late Stone Ages from Susunia (Bankura) and several other sites. Antiquities of proto-historic times from Pandu Rajar Dhibi (Burdwan), terracottas, sculptures, stone and stucco from the Gupta Maurya, Sunga, Kushana and Pala and Medieval times are stored in the State Archaeological Museum of Kolkata. In 1963 a new section was opened under the name of Historical Art to preserve the old terracottas, bronzes, woodcarvings, textiles and manuscripts.
Apart from this, the gallery also sells several card sets and other publications. The main activities include explorations and excavations of historical sites. Moreover, the State Archaeology Department has found 350 odd pieces of terracotta statues dating back to the era of Buddha from Ramjibanpur. The Department will build three display galleries for these statues. It will be constructed in the annex building of the State Archaeological Museum in Behala. After the completion of the building by next year the museum will be shifted to the new building. 80 percent of the cost will be borne by the Museum Department while the other 20 percent will be dealt by the state. Among these three galleries, two galleries will be used to display paintings of the eminent artists of the 18th and 19th century. In addition to this the State Archaeological Department has also planned to build a gallery to display the boats of Bengal through virtual reality and with the three-dimensional effect.
Laced with the Indian heritage and ethnicity State Archaeological Museum, Kolkata therefore stands as an insignia of India's cultural and archaeological wonders.