(Last Updated on : 18-06-2019)
The Delhi Gate is located in the walled city of Shahjahanabad
or Old Delhi, which was founded by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan
in 1639. It was the 17th city of Delhi
that was built like a fortress encircled by strong and high red brick walls with 14 entry gates to the city. These 14 gates are known as the Gates of Delhi
and located on the southern side of the fortified city is the Delhi Gate. It is currently maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India
Overview of Delhi Gate
Built by Shah Jahan, the Delhi Gate was constructed in 1638 with a similar design and architecture to the Kashmiri Gate, the northern gate of the walled city. The gate is an impressive large structure that is built of sandstone. And adjacent to the entry gate, there are 2 stone carvings of elephants. The Delhi Gate stands in the middle of the road, at the end of Netaji Subhash Chandra
Road and links Daryaganj of Old Delhi with New Delhi.
This article is a stub. You can enrich by adding more information to it. Send your Write Up to firstname.lastname@example.org
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Monuments
|• ||Forts in Mumbai|
Forts in Mumbai reverberate with the valour of the Maratha warriors and the advent of European rule in India.
|• ||Phodong Monastery|
Phodong Monastery is one amongst the six most important Buddhist monasteries in Sikkim and among the best places of pilgrimage in Gangtok. The monastery houses approximately 260 monks.
|• ||Pitalkhora Caves|
Pitalkhora Caves are some of the ancient rock cut caves located at a distance of 40kms from Ellora caves. Mainly known for the sculptures these caves can be dated back to 2nd century BC. these caves can be dated back to 2nd century BC.
|• ||Paigah Palace|
Paigah Palace is a beautiful palace built by Sir Vicar-ul-Umra, one of the Paigah noblemen in Hyderabad. Paigah Palace is famous for the exquisite architectural splendour, which made it the pride in the state of Telangana.
|• ||Udayagiri Fort|
The Udayagiri Fort is a 17th-century fort that is located in Kanyakumari District in Tamil Nadu. It is located near the town of Nagercoil in the Kanyakumari District. It was founded during the 17th Century.