The Kakatiyas were great patrons of learning and the great commentator Mallinath flourished under their patronage. Brother of great Kakatiya King Pratap Rudra, Annam Deo, left Warangal and established his kingdom at Bastar, after 1424 AD. He was succeeded by Hamir Deo and then by Pratap Raj Deo. It appears from the history of Bastar District that Bastar branch of the Kakatiya family vanished and after that Donger and Bastar came under Rajpal Deo.
Eventually, Mahipal Deo succeeded the throne of Bastar, and after his death, Bhopal Deo succeeded. Bhairam Deo was the next successor. Bhairam Deo died in 1891 and the state was managed by the government until January 1908. In 1910 a tribal revolt occurred against the British government who ruled over the state. Raja Rudrapratap Deo died in 1921 and his daughter Praphul Kumari Devi ascended the throne in 1922. In the year 1948, Bastar District has been merged in Indian Union. Bastar District is quite rich in archaeological remains. Old buildings and inscriptions are found at Barsur, Dantewada, Bhairamgarh, Narainpal, Kuruspal and Dhanora. At Barsur there is a temple dedicated to Lord Shivawith 12 stone pallets carved on the outside with various sculptures. However they are in a damaged state. The archaeological remains of this district of Chhattisgarh also include a ruined Ganesh temple. Another temple around 50 ft high known as 'Mama Bhanja Ka Mandir' has carvings representing bells hung from chains and it is in a fair state of preservation. Several other temples are scattered across the place and there are collections of beautifully carved images of Lord Vishnu and other deities. At Bairamgarh, doorway of an old fort, several tanks and some old temple ruins can be seen.