History of Sehore District
Sehore District has a long and glorious past. The Shaiva, Shakta, Jain, Vaishnava, Buddhists and Nath priests made Sehore a significant seat of their deep meditation. After formation of Madhya Pradesh, the state capital Bhopal was a part of the Sehore district. It was bifurcated in 1972 and a new district Bhopal was formed. Sehore has been an integral part of Avanti. Later on it was under the tutelage of Magadhan dynasty, Chandragupta I, Harshavardhana, Ashoka the great, Raja Bhoj, Peshwa chiefs, Rani Kamlawati and the Nawabs of Bhopal dynasty. Sehore remained the headquarters of the political agents and residents of the British East India Company.
Sehore played a crucial role in Sepoy mutiny 1857. "Nishan-e- Mahaviri and Nishan -e- Mohammadi" remained furling in the place of Union Jack. That short phase of independence from the British clutches ended, when Sir Hurose and Robert Hamilton crushed the uprising by putting 354 patriots to the gallows and gunning down 149 sepoys. Nawabs of Bhopal became always loyal to the British. That caused heavily to the efforts of the patriots in order to flush out the British from Sehore. But, the estate of Bhopal did not merge with the India state after the independence in 1947. Sehore has the honour of its achievement in the field of academics and literature.
Geography of Sehore District
Sehore District is bounded by six districts; these are Bhopal, Raisen district, Hussainabad, Dewas District, Shajapur District and Rajgarh District. Sehore District extends between the parallels of Latitude 22 degree and 31 minutes to 23 degree and 40 minutes north and between the meridians of Longitude 76 degree and 22 minutes and 78 degree and 08 minutes east. Its height from the sea level is 1500 ft. to 2000 ft. It covers the total area of 6578 Kilometres. Narmada River, Parbati River, Dudhi River, Newaj River, Kolar River, Papnas River, Kulans River, Seewan River and Lotia River are the rivers flowing in Sehore district. Sehore district has divided into five Tehsils. They are Sehore, Ashta, Ichhawar, Budni, and Nasrullahganj.
Demography of Sehore District
According to the Population Census in 2011, Sehore district had a population of 1,311,008. Out of which the male and female were 683,703 and 627,305 respectively. The population of Sehore District constituted 1.81 percent of total Madhya Pradesh population.
Education of Sehore District
In education sector, Sehore district is well named in the state of Madhya Pradesh. The average literacy rate of Sehore district in 2011 was 71.11 percent. The male and female literacy rate was 82.37 and 58.86 percent respectively. The total literates in Sehore District were 793,710 of which male and female were 479,009 and 314,701 respectively. There are several schools and colleges in Sehore District. They are as follows:
Post Graduate College, R.A.K Agri Sehore College, Government Girls College, Satya Sai Engineering College, Government Engineering College of Ichhawar , Government Engineering College of Nashrullahganj, Government Engineering College of Ashta, Government Women Polytechnic College and ITI Sehore
Economy of Sehore District
Sehore District is mainly an agricultural district. Sehore is having more than 80 percent soyabean cultivation area of the district. The district has few trade and industries as Krashi Upaj Mandi, Bhopal Sugar Industries, Oil Fed Industries, Jag Manak Refinery Plant, and Pasu Ahar Sayantra.
Tourism in Sehore District
There are many tourist spots in Sehore. These tourist spots have both historical and religious aspects. These are as follows:
Sidhha Ganesh Mandir
Sidhha Ganesh Mandir is established in the village of Gopalpur in the North West direction, 3 kilometres from the District Headquarters. As per legend, it dates back to King Vikramaditya of Ujjain and renovated by Baji Rao I, the Maratha Peshwa. Each Wednesday, large number of devotees throngs here. Ganesha Chaturthi festival is also popular here.
Cenotaphs of Kunwar Chain Singh
Cenotaphs and tombs of Kunwar Chain Singh are 2 kilometres away in Dashahra wala Maidan on the bank of Lotia River on Sehore - Indore Road. These cenotaphs remind the historic fight between patriot Kunwar Chain Singh of Narsinghgarh (Princely State of Narsinghgarh) estate and the British general Medhank.
Mugis Uddin Shah built this mosque in 732 according to the Hijri Calendar and later renovated by Beghum Siknadar Jahan in 1281 builds Jama Masjid. It is said to posses once a picturesque Bawadi (water tank).
Jain temple is situated in Kasba of Sehore. Two Jain Tirthankaras idols are dated 1335 -1548.
An emphatic temple of Lord Hanuman on a Garhi on the bank of river Seewan in a far-flung corner of the city provides aesthetic ambience as well as a prominent seat of devotion. Navratri festival in Ashwin and Chaitra are very popular for its religious importance.
A British political leader, who belonged to Scotland in 1838, built the Sehore Church. The building is an exact replica of a church in Scotland and even the surrounding greenery, comprising mainly tall Bamboo trees, was designed to match the original .To traverse the Sehore soil is to tread upon centuries of colourful history.
Gurudwara is in Ganga Ashram, Sehore and it renovated in 1936 by Sikh Military men, it holds Langer & Path of Guru Nanak Saheb.
Ramlala Mandir is situated 1 Km from Sehore in Badia Khedi, it is revered amongst 84 Hindu monasteries of India.
Salkanpur Durga Temple
Salkanpur Durga Temple is situated on 800 Feet high hillock, in the village Salkanpur, 70 Kms from Bhopal. The deity, Goddess Durga Beejasan is held in high esteem by her followers and the local people.
Saru-Maru cave is the place full of caves, rock edicts and stupas on Hussainabad road; the greatest ruler of Maurya Empire, Ashoka, his son Mahendra & daughter Sanghamitta visited this place
|More ArticlesSehore District (3)|