(Last Updated on : 11/06/2012)
The Princely State of Hirapur was one of the native states during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states of India
under the indirect rule of the British Government of India
. The state covered a total area of 10 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 650 in the year 1921. The native state of Hirapur was located in the district of Nemawar (Nimar) in Indore, towards the east of Bagli. The territory was apart of the erstwhile Indore Agency. The Princely State of Hirapur was incorporated as a part of the Central India Agency
. The territory consisted the village of Hirapur and was a guaranteed tributary of Indore
The Princely State of Hirapur was held on the Nimar district in Indore. Other regions which earlier belonged to the district of Nimar were reassigned to the British East India Company in the year 1860 and around 12 villages were handed over to the princely state of Dhar in the year 1905. According to an agreement reached in the year 1819, the native ruler, who held the title of Thakor, received the guaranteed tanka payments from the princely states of Indore
. The monarch of the princely state of Hirapur was granted the title of Rao by the maharaja of the princely state of Dhar.
History of Princely State of Hirapur
The ruling family of the state of of Hirapur was the Korkus. The Korku tribes possessed distinguishing physical features and their own separate language. The family migrated from the northeastern regions of Central India. The Korku tribes were divided into different sections, including the Mehwassi or Raj Korkus, intermarried with and claimed standing as Rajputs, who acquired disreputation as pirates and dacoits. During the late 18th century, as the Mughal forces dissolved in the Vindhya Mountain Range
, Maratha Empire imposed a heavy taxation on the tribals who were settled in the hilly regions.
Kushal Singh, son of the founder of the ruling family of Hirapur, was granted the original jagir through the mediation of the British East India Company
in the year 1819. It was done as part of the settlement which re-established peace in the territory. The native ruler of the princely state of Hirapur held the title of Rao, as well as Thakor. Even though the Korku Thakors occupied much larger and wealthier estates, the native ruler of Hirapur state was the only Thakor to receive guarantee for his holdings by the British administration.
After the withdrawal of the British administration and the Partition of India on 15th August 1947, the princely state of Hirapur was acceded to the newly formed Union of India
, which was also known as Dominion of India. At present, Hirapur is a census town in the district of Balaghat, situated in Madhya Pradesh