Pilgrimage Tourism in Chamba District -
Kunjar Mahadev: Kunjar Mahadev is a great pilgrimage centre situated in Tundi pargana of Sihunta sub-tehsil. This place attracts the attention of a large number of people from all parts of the country.
Laxmi Narayan Temple: Laxmi Narayan Temple, which is the main temple of Chamba town, was built by Sahil Verman in the 10th century AD. The temple has been built in the Shikhara style. This temple consists of Bimana. Laxmi Narayan Temple has a Mandapa like structure also. There are several other temples within this complex.
Champavati Temple: This temple was built by Raja Sahil Varman in memory of his daughter Champavati who is believed to have influenced her father to set-up Chamba at its present location. The temple is in the Shikhara style with elaborate stone carving and the wheel roof. The size of this temple is equivalent to the largest of Laxmi Narayan Temple.
Vajreshwari Temple: This ancient temple is believed to be 1000 years old and is dedicated to Devi Vajreshwari. The temple is situated on the northern most corner of the town at the end of Jansali Bazaar. However, no historical record of the temple is available. The temple is built in the Shikhara style that is elaborately carved. There are two other minor temples on either side of the main shrine.
Chamunda Devi Temple: This temple is located on the spur of the Shah Madar Hill overlooking the town to its south east. The temple stands on a raised platform. The temple has artistic carvings on its lintel, pillars and the ceiling. Behind the main temple is a small shrine of Lord Shiva in the Shikhara style. There is another platform in front of this temple where two very old Peepul trees provide shelter to the visitors. From this platform the visitors can have a bird's eye view of most of the land marks in the town including Chaugan, Circuit House, most of the temples and Ravi River. The temple is being looked after by Archaeological Survey of India. The temple has an easy approach.
Hari Rai Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This temple lies in the north-west corner of the main Chaugan, which had become the official entrance to the town by the end of 19th Century AD. A steep path leads to the old Shitla Bridge, which was constructed in the year 1894. The temple is built in Shikhara style and stands on a stone platform. The Shikhara of the temple is finely carved. This is one of the major old temples, which is away from the old township and the only one near the Chaugan. Much of this temple is hidden behind some unimaginative structures of the British period behind the Gandhi Gate and the Fire Station Building. The temple enshrines a marvellous bronze image of Lord Vishnu in the form of Chaturmurti. The temple of Hari Rai is believed to be of great antiquity and legend affirms that the Ravi once flowed in a shallow stream across the Chaugan and the temple had to be approached by stepping.
Dayanand Math, Chamba: Dayanand Math based on the principals of Arya Samaj is functioning in Chamba since 1970. Dayanand Math is a great religious centre of the district. People from far and wide visit the place for their spiritual gratification.
Leisure Tourism in Chamba Distric -
Ardha Gaya: There is a bowli (water reservoir) situated within the Chaurashi area. Besides being a great water source, it is also said to have a holy significance and is called Ardha Gaya. There is an interesting legend about this bowli. Once in the hoary past, Lord Shiva accompanied by Parvati and their son Ganesha were strolling at this place. Parvati remembered that the day was auspicious for having a dip in the holy water at Gaya. So, she longed to go there but Lord Shiva expressed his inability to fulfill her desire. Parvati was disappointed. Finding his mother distressed, Lord Ganesha shot an arrow at the spot and water gushed out from seven spouts. It is believed that this bowli is made up of waters of all holy rivers and springs of India and a dip would wash of all sins. It was therefore named as Ardh Gaya meaning half as sacred as Gaya.
Akhand Chandi Palace: Construction of this residential building of the Chamba family was started by Raja Umed Singh sometimes in between 1748 to 1764 AD. The place was rebuilt and renovated during the reign of Raja Sham Singh with the help of British engineers. The Darbar Hall (Marshal Hall) was built in 1879 by Captain Marshal and the Zanana Mahal was added in the reign of Raja Bhuri Singh. The subsequent additions and alterations clearly betray the Mughal and the British influence. In 1958 the Palace building was sold by the descendants of the royal family to the Himachal Government. The latter handed it over to the Education Department for the purpose of starting a Government College and District Library. The beautiful structures of the palace with its painted walls and glass work, ceiling, intricate woodwork are fast deteriorating. The palace has a commanding view of the Chaugan, Laxmi Narayana Temple, Sui Mata Temple, Chamunda Devi Temple, Rang Mehal, Hari Rai Temple and Bansi Gopal Temple.
Rang Mahal: It is one of the largest monuments of Chamba District and is located in Surara Mohalla. The foundation of Rang Mahal was laid by Raja Umed Singh (1748-1764 AD). The architecture of Rang Mahal is an amalgam of Mughal and British styles. This palace was the residence for a branch of the ruling family. Its fort like look justifies its use as royal granary and treasury which is on its western side. A number of decorative and colorful wall paintings have been removed and taken to National Museum, New Delhi. Some of the wall paintings and richly painted doors of the palace can be seen preserved in the Bhuri Singh Museum of Chamba.
Bhuri Singh Museum: Bhuri Singh Museum at Chamba opened formally on 14th of September, 1908. It is named after Raja Bhuri Singh who ruled Chamba from 1904 to 1919. Bhuri Singh donated his family collection of paintings to the museum. There are collections of coins, hill jewelleries and costumes both traditional and royal, arms and armour, musical instruments and various decorative objects.
Nature Tourism in Chamba District -
Art Garden: This site is located at the entrance of the town on the bed of Ravi River. This site has been built by the Department. It is a good picnic spot.
Rock Garden: This site is located on main road from Banikhet to Chamba at a distance of 10 kms from Banikhet. It is just near the Devi Dehhra temple and is located on both sides of the main road.
These are some of the major tourist attractions of Chamba District and are worth seeing.