Nabadwip lies on the western side of the Bhagirathi River at a distance of about 20 Kms from Krishnanagar and it is associated with the birth of Lord Sri Chaitanya and the advent of the Vaishnava religion in Bengal. Sri Chaitanya was not only a religious leader preaching Vaishnab ideas and Bhakti cult but also a social reformer in the 16th Century. Nabadwip was the capital of Lakshman Sena, the famous ruler of the Sena dynasty, who ruled from 1179 to 1203. There are a number of temples and pilgrimage centres located here. Dwadas Shib Mandir built in 1835 with the exquisite floral designs attracts a large number of pilgrims. The images and idols of Lord Sri Chaitanaya in a few other places are also regarded with reverence. For accommodation, a number of guest houses, private hotels, boarding houses are available.
Mayapur is situated on the opposite Nabadwip across the river Bhagirathi. Some Schools of thought claim this place to be the actual birth place of Lord Sri Chaitanya. The ISKCON temple of A.C.Bhaktivedanta, the Saraswat Adwaita Math and the Chaitanya Gaudiya Math are the important temples at Mayapur. During Holi (dol) festival Rashyatra Mayapur presents itself as a centre of harmony, amity, fraternity and festivity.
Shantipur was for long the seat of Sanskrit learning and literature, Vedic texts and scriptures. It is located in the Ranaghat Sub-division of the district and is about 18 Kms away from Krishnagar. The Topkhana Mosque was built by Fauzder Gazi Mohammad Yaar Khan in 1703 - 1704 during the reign of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. This mosque consists of a big dome and eight minars. The Shayam Chand Temple built in traditional 'Aatchala' manner, the Jaleswar Temple with its exquisite terracotta designs and the Adwaita Prabhu Temple are the noteworthy temples of Shantipur. The weavers of Shantipur have made themselves famous throughout India by their professional aptitude in making "Tant Saree." Fulia a township very close to Shantipur, is the birth place of Poet Krittibas, composer of Bangla Ramayan.
Shivaniwas is located within Krishnaganj Block in the Sadar Sub-Division and is about 26 Kms away from Krishnanagar. Predicting an attack from the Bargis and Marathi raiders, Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 - 1782) temporarily shifted his capital from Krishnanagar to this place. The Raj Rajeswar Temple, named after Lord Shiva, was built by him in 1754. The Shivalinga enshrined in this temple is said to be the largest in Asia. The Ragniswar temple and the Ram-Sita temple built in 1762 form a composite structure alongside Raj Rajeswari Temple, locally known as Buro-Shib Mandir. The architecture of this temple bears Gothic influence.
|More Articles in Tourism of Nadia District (2)|