Attirala is a very sacred place, located on the east bank of the river Cheyyeru. The sanctity of the river Cheyyeru was elaborately described in the great epic of Mahabharata. It is believed that the river Cheyyeru redeemed Parasurama from the sin of matricide and also miraculously gave hands to Likhita, the brother of Sankha a great sage. It is a centre of Vedic culture and famous for its scenic beauty. The temple of Parasurama Kshetra is located here. To the south of this temple there is a 72 pillared hall and on the eastern side there are two famous temples on the hill slope dedicated to Gadhadara and Thretheswara.
Parasurama Kshetra is worth seeing for its sculptural beauty and grand appearance. There is a Jyothistambha, higher up in the temple of Thretheswara, on the top of a hill. Jyothi, lighted on festivals, is visible to distance of 30 Kms around. Attirula is located 8 Kms from Rajampet and 55 Kms from Cuddapah.
Nandalur is on the west bank of river Cheyyeru. Located here is a very big temple, the Sowmyanath Temple occupying nearly ten acres. It is a replica of Thiruvannamalai and was patronized by the rulers of the Chola dynasty, Pandya dynasty and Kakatiya dynasty, Vijayanagara, Pottapi and Matli Kings. Most of the inscriptions found here are in Tamil. Lord Sowmyanatha is installed here on an elevated platform. Nandalur was once a famous Buddhist centre in Rayalaseema. In 1913 Buddhist caves and viharas were discovered. These are well worth a visit. Nandalur is located on the Cuddapah-Chennai highway and is at a distance of 38 Kms from Cuddapah.
Pushpagiri is well known for its numerous temples. The Vaishnavas call it Madhya Abhiloma and the Saivas call it Madhya Kailasam. Pushpagiri is known as the second Hampi. It is one of the important Advaitha Mutts established by Sankaracharya and is the only place in Andhra Pradesh where the holy Peetham of Sankaracharya is located. The largest and best known among temples is the Chennakesava Temple, which according to the earliest inscriptions found in the temple complex, dates back to 1298 A.D. The dancing Ganapati and Lord Krishna preaching the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna are remarkable pieces of Art. The annual temple festival is conducted for 10 days in March-April. Other temples of interest here include Trikuteswara, Durga, Shiva, Rudrapada and Devi, which are remarkable for their architectural precision and excellent images. Pushpagiri is on the banks of Pennar (Pinakini) 16 Kms from Cuddapah City.
The temple of Anjaneya Swamy here is built on the foot of a hill on the western side of the river Papaghni in the midst of picturesque surroundings. It has gained great name and fame as a Vayu Kshethra. Legend has it that Lord Rama visited this place on his way back from Lanka. In order to welcome him, Vayu, the father of Anjaneya, hung a wreath of golden flowers across the ravine. Before leaving this place, Rama carved the figure of Anjaneya on a rock. The stone praakaaram around the sanctum sanctorum is said to have been built by one Tirupathi Seshanna in 1911. Devotees come from very far to visit this temple in the month of Sravana. Gandi is situated 55 Kms from Cuddapah city and 8 Km from Vempalli on the Vempalli-Rayachoty route.
Vontimitta is famous for the Kodanda Ramaswamy Temple, which was built by the Chola and Vijayanagara kings. The images of Rama, Lakshman and Sita are carved on a single piece of rock. According to the legend, Rama, Lakshmana and Sita spent some time here in the forest during the period of their exile. Once to quench the thirst of Sita, Rama shot an arrow deep into the earth, upon which sweet water gushed out. Later, with this perennial water spring, two small tanks named Ramathirtham and Lakshmanathirtham were formed. Splendid architecturally, it boasts of a towering gateway, a large beautiful sculptured Mandapam with exquisitely carved pillars, an inner chamber and the sanctum. Few temples in the country can rival it for the sheer magnificence and beauty of its intricate carvings and finesse. Apart from the gateway, the large and beautifully sculpted mandapam with 32 pillars called the Madhya Ranga Mandapam leading to the inner chamber and sanctum is of great architectural interest. Vontimitta is locates 25 Kms from Cuddapah city on the state highway leading to Tirupathi.
Kandimallayapalli is the place where Sri Potuluri Veerabrahmam, who was famous for his predictions and foresight about the future of the world, stayed. Veerabrahmam is the only futurologist that the East has produced. He entered Jeeva Samadhi in the year 1693. Brahmamgari Matham was built in Kandimallayapalli after his death. The walls are covered with the preaching and predictions of Veerabrahmam. A number of places of tourist interest are located in and around Matham. These include the Siddaiah Jeeva Samadhi, Eswaramma temple and the Poleramma temple. The Brahmamgari Matham is located 60 kms from Cuddapah on the Cuddapah - Porumamilla route.
Thus stated are the various places of religious interest located in and around the Cuddapah district of Andhra Pradesh.
(Last Updated on : 17-11-2014)
|More Articles in Cuddapah District (5)|