Silappathikaram Art Gallery
This art gallery of Poompuhar has a beautiful seven-tier building of exquisite sculptural value. Among these, the first storey is 12 feet high and the following storey each has a height of 5 feet atop of which is erected a kalasam with a height of 8 feet. The total height of it thus becomes 50 feet.
The art gallery here depicts the scenes from one of the five major epics of Tamil 'Silappathikaram'. It was opened in 1973. These exquisite scenes are immortalized in stone on the walls of the gallery. In brief, it can be considered as a treasure-house of Tamil Nadu.
The Makara Thorana Vayil
The whole structure of this Makara Thorana Vayil can be seen at the entrance of the Art Gallery. It was designed following the model of Magara Thorana Vayil found in Surulimalai Mangala Devi temple.
Ilanji Mandram, Pavai Mandram, Nedungal Mandram and Kotrappandal:
These were re-erected here in Poompuhar with their artistic splendour. The epic poetry of the Tamils Silappathikaram mentions about all these public places. They served various purposes besides being attractive.
Ilanji Mandram is a beautiful place with a miracle tank which cured all illnesses. Nedungal Mandram is a pillar of grandeur. It is believed that those afflicted with mental disorder or those who have been poisoned or bitten by snake can be cured if they go round and worship the pillar.
Pavai Mandram is a place of justice. It is said that if any injustice was done the Pavai (idol) there would shed tears. Kotrappandal was the ornamental shamiana presented by the king of the Vajjra country.
Thirusaikkadu temple of Poompuhar
It is situated 2 kms away from Poompuhar estuary. It is a Siva temple of Thiru Sayavaneswarar and Kuyilinum Inia Nanmozhi Ammai. The Saivaite Saints or Nayanmars have sung hymns in praise of this temple. Chola inscriptions are also found here.
Thiruppallavaneswaram temple of Poompuhar
This is an ancient and beautiful temple in Poompuhar. Iyarpagai Nayanar and Pattinathar and the hero and heroine of Silappathikaram, Kovalan and Kannagi were also born here. The Pallavas built this temple. The inscription of Vikrama Chola terms this place as 'Puharnagaram', Puhar city.
Melapperumpallam and Keezhap-perumpallam
These two places are situated very near to Poompuhar and Thiruvengadu. The Chola inscriptions can be seen in the Valampurinathar temple at Melapperumpallam. Nayanmars are said to have sanctified this temple in their hymns.
Keezhapperumpallam is situated at a distance of 2 km from Poompuhar. It is one of the Navagrahas, Kethu (serpent's tail) and has a separate sanctum here.
Thiruvakkur temple of Poompuhar
It is a famous Siva temple of Poompuhar. It is constructed on Madakkoil (Storeyed Temple) pattern. Nayanmars have sung hymns on this temple. Sirappuli Nayanar, one of the 63 Saivaite saints, was born here.
Semponnarkoil temple of Poompuhar
This temple has important historic connotation. It is also called Thirusemponpathi in Thevaram. It is near Poompuhar on the bus route to Tranquebar (Tharangambadi).
Punjai temple of Poompuhar
It is a beautiful Siva temple, situated near Semponnarkoil. It is hail for the architectural wonders of the Cholas.
Thirukkadaiyur temple of Poompuhar
It is one of the eight temples (Atta Veerattanam), which glorifies the heroic victories of Lord Siva. It is situated on the road to Tranquebar from Mayiladuthurai. A beautiful bronze representation of Siva releasing Markandeya from the clutches of Yama, the God of Death and making him a perpetual youth can be seen here. The rope marks of Yama can be seen in the lingam here.
This place of Poompuhar is also known for its fame in patronizing Bharathanatyam as evidenced by the inscription of Kulottunga Chola III. It is also a famous Sakthi Sthalam. The presiding deity here is known as 'Amirthagateswara' (Lord of the nectar pot). People celebrate their 60th birthday here so that they are rewarded with longevity by the grace of this God.
This place is situated near Thirukkadaiyur and is famous for its 'Dasa Bhuja Veera Anjaneya' (Ten-headed Hanuman).
There are eleven of the 108 holy places of Vaishnavaites situated near Nangoor. The Nangoor Vishnu temples were sanctified by Thirumangai Alwar, one of the 12 Vaishnavaite Saints. The stucco figure of Nara Narayana in one of these temples is one of the best architectural works.
This temple is situated near Poompuhar and contains an interesting inscription prescribing rules for the election of the village assembly. As per those prescribed rules, those who were not members for the previous ten years and above 40 years alone are eligible to contest an election.
This place is situated on the coast of the Bay of Bengal, south of Poompuhar. Here, the first Tamil printing press was erected and casting of Tamil alphabets was done. The Bible was printed here by the Christian missionary as the first printed book in Tamil.
Tharangampadi was also a site of Danish settlement. It has the remnants of the Dansborg Fort built by Ore Godde, the Commander of the Royal Dutch Navy in the 17th century. The walls of the forts are ruined now but the rest of the buildings are still in good condition.
The Church of Zion
This church of Poompuhar was built in 1701 in the corner of King Street and Queen Street. It was renovated in the years 1782, 1784, 1800 and 1839. Now, the church has an impressive vaulted roof.
The Town Gateway
The town gateway of Poompuhar is 200 years old and has historical and architectural values.
Danish Fort of Poompuhar
This fort exhibits Danish architecture and is under the control of Tamil Nadu Archaeological Department. It has an archaeological museum open to public on all days except Fridays.
Masilamaninathar Temple of Poompuhar
The Pandya king Maravarman Kulasekara built this temple in 1305 AD. It has an outstanding architectural beauty, which attracts lots of visitors. The front portion of the fort has damaged due to sea erosion but still attracts the onlookers.
It is the biggest building in Tranquebar of Poompuhar. This was named after Johannes Rehling who was the Danish governor and owned this house between 1830 and 1841. At present, the St. Theresa's Teachers Training College can be seen functioning here and it is well preserved.
British Collector's House
It is situated on the eastern end of King's Street opposite the Dansborg Fort. It is another important landmark 150 years old with beautiful round columns, a central courtyard and a garden.
|More Articles in Poompuhar (2)|