(Last Updated on : 23/07/2013)
Libraries of Southern India comprise various libraries which belong to the different states like Andhra Pradesh
, Tamil Nadu
. Such libraries contain books and on innumerable subjects, along with historical documents, newspapers and magazines.
Libraries of Andhra Pradesh
The city of Hyderabad
in Andhra Pradesh contains five libraries which are: Asafia State Library, British Library, Sri Krishna Devaraya Andhra Bhasha Nilayam, State Central Library and Sundarayya Vignana Kendram.
Libraries of Karnataka
State Central Library and Seshadari Iyer Memorial Hall are the only two libraries in the Indian state of Karnataka.
Libraries of Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu has certain libraries which are located in Chennai
and other regions. Adyar Library
, Anna Centenary Library, Connemara Public Library
and Roja Muthiah Research Library belong to Chennai, while in Madurai, Mahakavi Bharathi Memorial Library in Karungalapalayam in Erode and Saraswathi Mahal Library in Thanjavur
are the other libraries in this region.
Libraries of Kerala
Desasevini Grameena Vayanasala, Edayar Grameena Vayanasala, Janaranjini Vayanasala, Kerala Library Association, Netaji Smaraka Gramina Grandhasala, Ezhumanthuruthu, Oriental Research Institute & Manuscripts Library, State Central Library and Thrissur
Public Library are the libraries situated in Kerala.
Some of the libraries of Southern India are heritage buildings which preserve numerous important sources of knowledge.
Connemara Public Library
Connemara Public Library, located in Chennai, is one of the four National Depository libraries, which accept prints of all books, newspapers and publications, which are available in the whole of Indian subcontinent. Being accomplished in the year 1890, the Connemara Public Library is a storehouse of old publications of past centuries, which include some of the most esteemed works and precious annals of the country. Not only that, it also acclaims the status of being a reservoir library for the United Nations.
Adyar Library and Research Centre
Adyar Library and Research Centre is one of the foremost centres of Indological research in the world. This is situated in the sylvan areas of the Theosophkal Society in Chennai. Colonel H.S. Olcott, the President-Founder of the Theosophical Society founded this research centre in 1886.
Government Oriental Manuscripts Library
The Government Oriental Manuscripts Library is one of the world's largest and best manuscript libraries. It was established in 1867 in the western wing of the first floor of the Madras University.
It has mainly three important collections:
1.The Colonel Colin Mackenzie's Collection (1754-1821)
2.East India House (Dr. Leyden)'s Collection (1803-1811) and
3.The C.P. Brown's Collection (1798-1814)
The Col. Mackenzie's precious Dravidian Collection consists of 1500 manuscripts. There are total 50,000 palm leaf manuscripts, 20,000 paper manuscripts and 20,000 books in the library. Most of the manuscripts are not decoded yet. It also contains the manuscripts of works in literature, history, philosophy and science, which are written in South Indian and Oriental languages as well as in Kaifiyats. The inscriptions found in many places belong to different periods.
Colonel Colin Mackenzie came to India in 1783 as a cadet of Engineers on the Madras Establishment of the East India Company. He was interested in the study of ancient mathematics, logarithm in particular and in Oriental languages. He had a collection of numerous manuscripts, coins, inscriptions, maps etc. These had information on the literature, religion, history, manners and customs of the people not only from different parts of India but also from Ceylon and Java. During his service as Surveyor-General of India in 1818, Colonel Mackenzie he brought all the precious collections with him to Calcutta and went on adding more to them till he died in 1821. British East India Company
bought these collections from Mrs Mackenzie in 1821 for 10,000 pounds. They parted into three divisions of which one part was retained in London, the other parts were sent to Calcutta and Madras.