Banas River - Informative & researched article on Banas River
 Indianetzone: Largest Free Encyclopedia of India with thousand of articlesGeography of India


in  
 Art & Culture|Entertainment|Health|Reference|Sports|Society|Travel
Forum  | Free E-magazine  | RSS Feeds  
History of India|Indian Temples|Indian Museums|Indian Literature|Geography of India|Flora & Fauna|Indian Purans|Indian Philosophy|Indian Administration|Indian Languages|Education
Home > Reference > Geography of India > Resources in India > Water Resources in India > Indian Rivers > Himalayan Rivers > Banas River
Banas River
The Banas River with a length of 512 km has a drainage area of 45,833 sqkm, which is entirely in Rajasthan.
 
More on Banas River (1 Articles)
 
 
 
 Banas RiverThe Banas is a river of Rajasthan state in western India. The river rises near the Khamnor hills of Aravalli Range, which is at a distance of 5 km from Kumbhalgarh in the Rajsamand district and flows through Rajasthan. It flows in the northeast direction through the Mewar region of Rajasthan and meets the Chambal River near the village of Rameshwarin Khandar Block in Sawai Madhopur district. It is a tributary of the Chambal River, which in turn flows into the Yamuna River, a tributary of the Ganges. The Banas is approximately 512 km in length. It is also known as "Van Ki Asha" meaning "Hope of Forest".

The Banas is a seasonal river that is often dry in the hot months, but it is still a source of irrigation. The Bisalpur-Jaipur project completed by the Government of Rajasthan in 2009 provides drinking water from the Banas to Jaipur city. Its total catchment area is 8674 sqkm out of which nearly 37.69% lies in Rajasthan state and remaining 62.31% falls in Gujarat state. There is Dantiwada Dam on Banas River at 105 km. distance. Its catchment area is 2862 sqkm.

Tributaries of Banas River
Banas River With a length of 512 km, Nathdwara, Jahanpur, and Tonk are the major cities situated on the bank of the river. The major tributaries of the Banas River are Berach and Menali on the right, and Kothari, Khari, Dai, Dheel, Sohadara, Morel and Kalisil on the left. The drainage area of the river is 45,833 sqkm, which is entirely in Rajasthan. It drains the eastern slope of the central portion of Aravalli Range and covers parts of the districts of Ajmer, Bhilwara, Bundi, Chittorgarh, Dausa, Jaipur, Pali, Rajsamand, Sawai Madhopur, Tonk, and Udaipur.

Dantiwada Dam on Banas River
Dantiwada Dam is located across the Banas River in the Banaskantha District of Gujarat. The dam was built in 1965. The primary aim behind building the Dantiwada Dam was flood control and providing water for irrigation projects in the state. The dam is 61 m high and 4,832 m long. The reservoir encompasses an area of about 40 sqkm. The dam currently a prime tourist attraction of the district and pulls hoards of visitors to its scenic surroundings and natural beauty.

(Last Updated on : 27/02/2015)
E-mail this Article | Post a Comment
More Articles in Himalayan Rivers  (127)
 
Ganga River  (24)
 
Yamuna River  (23)
 
Tapti River  (22)
 
Indus River  (16)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Recently Updated Articles in Geography of India
Loktak Lake
The Loktak Lake in Manipur is huge water body with spectacular nature beauty attracting thousands of tourists.
Waithou Lake
Waithou Lake is an oval shaped lake situated in Thoubal District of Manipur. Surrounded by natural beauty this was the biggest breeding ground for fishes which got hampered due to population and soil erosion.
Renuka Lake
The Renuka Lake is in the shape of a reclining woman and it is believed to be that of Goddess Renuka.
Nakki Lake
Nakki Lake is located in the beautiful hill station of Mount Abu at an altitude of 1200 m above mean sea level.
Sion Railway Station
Sion railway station is located on the Mumbai suburban railway in the Central Railway line.
Forum
Forum on Geography of India
Free E-magazine
Subscribe to Free E-Magazine on Reference
 
 
Banas River - Informative & researched article on Banas River
Sitemap
Contact Us   |   RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2008 Jupiter Infomedia Ltd. All rights reserved including the right to reproduce the contents in whole or in part in any form or medium without the express written permission of
Jupiter Infomedia Ltd.