Legends of Hamirpur Fort
Hamirpur Fort carried the later part of Mughal Rule in India and the early phase of British regime in India. The town of Hamirpur was founded by Raja Abhey Chand, of ruling Katoch dynasty of Kangra District, in 1748 A.D. The history of Hamirpur is directly connected with the Katoch dynasty which ruled the area between the Ravi and Satluj rivers in the historic days. With the passage of time, all the rulers went away and at the time of Hamir Chand, a Katoch ruler, the area was under the control of ‘Ranas’ (Feudal hill chiefs).
Also the Sujanpur Tira is known for its five temples of which Gauri Shankar is within the palace precincts. One temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Parvati. The temple was built by Raja Sansar Chand in 1804. It has a number of wall paintings that are still bright and have been executed with precision. Floral designs, figures of Lord Shiva, Parvati and Lord Ganesha and other human and divine forms adorn the temple from inside as well as from outside.
Architecture of Hamirpur Fort
The entrance of Hamirpur Fort is impressive and decorative. The royal symbol of the local rulers displayed here glorifies the regal dynasty of Hamirpur. Inside the Hamirpur Fort there are deep recesses and the walls have signs of faded royal paintings. Hamirpur Fort is a double storey structure, with arches, wall-niches and sizeable rooms. On the right is the Bara dari, where the kings used to hold their darbar in the court along with the ministers. The fort-palace of Hamirpur was destroyed in the 1905 in Kangra earthquake and later by a fire.
Visiting Information of Hamirpur Fort
The nearest Airport from Hamirpur Fort is Shimla Airport. The second nearest Airport is Chandigarh Airport. The nearest Railway Station is Kiratpur Sahib Railway Station which is located at a distance of 120 kilometres from Hamirpur which is well connected to the major Indian cities.
(Last Updated on : 19-05-2018)
|More Articles in Hamirpur District, Himachal Pradesh (4)|