History of Princely State of Wasna
The native ruler or Thakor of the Agency leased the area of the Sadra Bazaar where the headquarters of the Sabar Kantha Agency were situated. The native ruler also possessed 14 wanta villages in the territory of Baroda, which faced constant disputes with the Gaekwad administration.
The Rathor Rajputs were the ruling family of the princely state of Wasna or Vasna, who arrived at Gujarat in the year 1476. The ruling family was given a grant of land, initially in the region of Prantij and later in 1506 they again received a grant of land in Chhalla, which was located near Sadra region. After they were barred from their original holdings, ruling family ultimately settled in the territory of Wasna in the year 1629. The native ruler of the princely state of Wasna held the title of Thakor. The rule of male primogeniture, by which the first born or eldest child of the same parents had the right, by law or custom, to inherit the entire estate of one or both parents, to the exclusion of all others, was followed in the succession of the throne or gadi of the princely state of Wasna.
The Thakor of the princely state of Wasna exercised limited civil and criminal jurisdiction. He took charge of the administration of the state and supervised the internal issues of the region. The Resident of British India, also known as Political Agents of the British East India Company, managed the associations of the state with the British authorities and other princely states of India. The native ruler of Wasna state was ranked in the Fifth Class of Mahi Kantha rulers before the abolition of the class system in the year 1928. The Princely State of Wasna paid annual tribute to the princely state of Baroda. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Wasna was attached to the princely state of Baroda.
Administration of Princely State of Wasna
Wasna state included almost 6 villages and was situated on the banks of the Sabarmati River in the northern part of Gujarat. The former native state comprised 2 distinctive blocks of territory of similar size, situated within the western region of the district of Mehsana in Baroda. The southern block of territory was located towards the northeastern part of the princely state of Pethapur.
Accession of Princely State of Wasna
The last native ruler of the princely state of Wasna acceded the territory to the newly independent Union of India after the political withdrawal of the British Government of India from the country on 15th August 1947. After the country was divided between India and Pakistan, the native rulers of the states were given the choice of acceding to either the Union of India or the Dominion of Pakistan. The Thakor of Wasna state decided to merge with the Republic of India. At present, the region is incorporated as a part of the Indian state in Gujarat state.
(Last Updated on : 03-08-2012)
|More Articles in Princely States of India (466)|