The Princely State of Mowa was one of the princely states of India that was administered by a native prince under the guidance of the British authorities. The princely state was under the indirect control of the British Empire in India. The state was scattered over a total area of 7.6 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 356 in the year 1931. The princely state of Mowa, which was also known as Nana Mahuva or Mahuva Nana, located in Lodhika Thana, about 3 miles south- southwest of the town of Rajkot. It included one village and was bounded in the north by a remote block of Pal territory; by Lodhika in the west; and Rajkot to the south and east.
The region of Lodhika Thana encompassed around 9 estates in central and western Kathiawar, spread from Babra in the east to Jamnagar in the west. Most of them were branches of Jadeja states. The territory included a total of 196 estate holders, including bhagdars and talukdars in the year 1940. Further more, the village of Lodhika, which was shared by the 2 jurisdictional talukas of Lodhika, was under the jurisdiction of the thana.
The Princely State of Mowa was included as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub- division of the Western India States Agency. The region was also incorporated as a part Western Kathiawar Agency and Lodhika Thana. Mowa state was a non- jurisdictionary princely state. It paid annual tribute to the princely state of Junagadh. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Mahuva Nana or Mowa was attached to the state of Nawanagar. The princely state of state was claimed by more than one ruler officially described as shareholder. There were around 11 such shareholders in the princely state. The Jadeja Rajputs and the Bhayats of Shahpur were the major shareholders of Mowa or Mahuva Nana.
After the independence of India in the year 1947, the princely state of Mowa was acceded to the newly formed Union of India, also known as Dominion of India. The erstwhile princely state is currently a part of Mowa in the state of Chhattisgarh, India.
(Last Updated on : 05-06-2012)