(Last Updated on : 28/08/2012)
Kochbihar district is situated in the north-east corner of West Bengal in India. It is bordered by Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal in the north and Assam in the east. Bangladesh occupies the southern border of the district. Once a Princely State, the land is enriched with fine climate with natural freshness & beauty.
During the 11th and 12th Century AD, the Pala-Senas used to rule Kochbihar. The sculptures, coins of the Sultanate and the Mughal Periods, temples, mosques of the mediaeval and late mediaeval period reveals that the ancient territory of Kamrup played a role in the development of the present region of Kochbihar district in West Bengal.
The main attraction in Kochbihar is however, the Palace of Koch king Maharaja Nripendra Narayan. Idealized from the concept of classical European style of Italian Renaissance, this magnificent palace was built by the Maharaja in 1887.
Kochbihar is also famous for large water bodies. Among them the Rasik bil is one of the most important one for large collection of migratory birds assemble here every year. The forest department has built accommodation in Rasik Bil to meet the demands of a growing number of tourists.
Kochbihar is a land of pious temples. The most notable among these is the Madan Mohan Bari.
Modan Mohan temple
Situated in the heart of the Kochbihar town, the popular temple was constructed by Maharaja Nripendra Narayan during 1885 to 1889. The deities include Lord Madan Mohan, Ma Kali, Ma Tara and Ma Bhavani. On the occasion of Raas Puja the traditional Raas Jatra Festival along with Rass Mela is held in Kochbihar which is among the biggest festivals of North Bengal.
Situated at Debibari of Kochbihar Town. Inside the Temple idol of Goddess Durga is installed. Influence of European architecture is found in the construction of the temple building. A Mela takes place here during Durga Puja.
Established by Maharaja Nripendra Narayan during 1860 to 1880. The Roman epoque architecture of the temple is a rarity in this area. The temple indicates the influence of Brahmo Samaj on the Maharaja of Kochbihar.
Situated at a distance of about 8 km west of Dinhata railway station, the original temple is now destroyed. The present temple was been established by Maharaja Pran Narayan in 1665. Inside the temple the throne of Debi is situated. Beside the main temple 2 smaller temples also exist at the back-side of the temple courtyard. At the gate a 'Tarakeswar Sivalinga' exists. A large number of festivals are observed here of which the Batha Festival of Debi in the month of Magh is worth mentioning.
More on West Bengal