Kamarajar Port Limited or Ennore Port is the 12th major port of India. Kamarajar Port Limited or Ennore Port is the first port in India which is a public based company. The Kamarajar Port Limited is the only corporative major port and is registered as a company. The Central Government holds a stake of about 68 per cent in the Kamarajar Port Limited and the remaining 32 per cent is held by the Chennai Port Trust.
Ennore Port has been able to attract the huge foreign and national investment by private entrepreneurs on various terminals and harbour craft. Kamarajar Port Limited is designed as Asia's energy port. It has only 86 employees.
It is envisaged being a satellite port to decongest and improve the environmental quality at the bustling Chennai Port, Kamarajar Port Limited is evolving itself into a full-fledged port with the capacity to handle a wide range of products. With a permissible draught of 13.5 m, the port handled a total volume of 11.01 million tonnes in 2010–11, up by 2.86 percent from the previous year.
Ennore Port was originally conceived as a satellite port to the Chennai Port, primarily to handle thermal coal to meet the requirement of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) and was endowed with large chunks of land (about 2,000 acres).
The scope of expanding Ennore Port was expanded taking into account subsequent developments taken by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Ennore Port was commissioned by the former Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee on 1 February 2001. The port was set up under the Companies Act, keeping it outside the scope of the Tariff Authority for Major Ports, the tariff regulator for 11 of the 12 ports owned by the Indian government.
The Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu declared Ennore Port as a major port under the Indian Ports Act, 1908 in March 1999 and incorporated as the Ennore Port Limited under the Companies Act, 1956 in October 1999.
Commercial operations commenced with Handymax geared vessels for unloading of thermal coal on 22 June 2001. With the deployment of self-unloading and gearless vessels of 65,000/77,000 dead weight tonnage (DWT), full-fledged operations were started in December 2002.
(Last Updated on : 04-10-2014)
|More Articles in Indian Ports (3)|