Bhakra Dam known to be the highest dam in the entire world and is located in the Naina Devi Sub-Tehsil, at a distance of nearly 14 km from the town of Nagpal. The then Governor of Punjab, Sir Louis Dane had conceived the original plan of building this dam. In 1938 to 1939, the districts of Hisar and Ropar witnessed droughts which claimed innumerable human lives and cattle. The Second World War was stumbling block towards the progress of the completion of this dam. However, in March, 1948, the official work of making the dam finally commenced. It was inaugurated by Jawaharlal Nehru on 17th November, 1955. The construction of the dam concluded in October 1962. The dam measures 226 metres in height, 518 metres in length and 9 metres in width. The villages known as Bhakra and Nangal, which are located near the foothills of the lower Himalayan mountain ranges have inspired the naming of the Bhakra Dam. A Public Relation Office has been established in Nangal Township to facilitate the numerous tourists who visit this dam.
Gobind Sagar Lake
This lake has been named to pay tribute to the late Guru Gobind Singh, who was the Tenth Sikh Guru. It is situated on Sutlej River and was constructed near the hydel dam at the area called Bhakra. The waters of Beas River had been channelled so as to make it flow into Gobind Sagar Lake. The total area of this lake is about 170 square kilometre and it has a length of 90 km. Tourists can enjoy facilities which include water sports like scooter racing, sailing, water- skiing, kayaking and ferry rides, as well as rides in speed boats. The department of Tourism and Civil Aviation arranges regattas particularly during the months of October and November.
New Bilaspur Town
This town was found in the year 1633, when the capital of Himachal Pradesh was transferred here from Sunhani. The town of New Bilaspur is based immediately above the old, original Bilaspur Town at an altitude of 670 metres above sea level. Modern techniques and ideas have given birth to the town of New Bilaspur. The new town is about 64 km away from the region of Kiratpur, and located on the Manali National Highway No-21. A motor launch can be thrilling to its visitors. The months of September to December are considered the ideal months to travel to this place. The annual cattle fair or 'Narwari' is organised in this town for about five months in March. Wrestling tournaments are arranged too. Nalagarh and other regions of Punjab offer their cattle, which are sold in New Bilaspur town. Buses are readily available from Mandi, Chandigarh, Shimla and Hamirpur. Temples of Raghu Nath ji, Deomati, Khanmukheshwar and Sri Naina Devi Ji are worth visiting.
The Kandrour Bridge is located at a distance of about eight kilometres from Bilaspur, on the National Highway No-88, across Sutlej River. In April 1959, the construction of this bridge was started. Finally, it was completed in the year 1965. The length of Kandrour Bridge is 280 metres and breadth is about seven metres. The bridge has a height of 80 metres. Kandrour Bridge has been granted the first rank in entire region of Asia for being the tallest bridge in Asia. The bridge connects Hamirpur, Ghumarwin and Bilaspur. Shri Raj Bahadur, the Minister of Transport had inaugurated this bridge in the year 1965.
Deoli Fish Farm
Deoli Fish Farm is located about 15 km away from the township of New Bilaspur, on the Shimla-Mandi Road. As many as 14 nursery ponds and two large water tanks are present in the premises of this farm. It was established in the year 1962. During 1978, many fish species were introduced by creating an aquarium inside the farm. This farm is important since it is historical and also since it offers excellent training programmes in fish culture. It has been granted special recognition by Punjab University for its rich sources of various kinds of fishes which facilitate research work. Every year, about 30 to 40 lacks fingerlings are preserved here. In 1989, a hostel and training unit was set up here in order to encourage fish farmers and research personnel to carry on their activities. In Gobind Sagar reservoir, sports fisheries have been introduced which are quite popular amongst the visitors.
Namhol is a tiny hamlet which is located at a distance of nearly 24 km from the region of Bilaspur and about 68 km away from Shimla, on the Bilaspur-Shimla road. Raja Amar Chand had built a Thakurdwar in 1833 AD. This temple shelters brass idols of Lord Hanuman, Lord Rama, Sita and Lakshmana. Namhol is a renowned area where the ginger trade flourishes.
Swarghat is present at an altitude of 1128 metres from the mean sea level and is 42 km away from the summer capital of Raja of Bilaspur. Pine trees surround this beautiful place. Nearby tourist locales include Bhakra Dam, the temple of Naina Devi Temple and Lakshmi Narayan Temple.
Native, as well as foreign tourists make a beeline for this area, on account of all these interesting tourist attractions.