The tea produced by Temi Tea Garden possesses a reputation of being some of the most distinguished qualities of tea across the world. In 1969, this tea garden came into existence, thanks to the efforts of the Government of Sikkim. Visitors would be thrilled to enjoy walks through the lush greenery of the tea plantations and also to spend some romantic nights in the resort which is situated in the premises of this tea garden.
History of Temi Tea Garden
Prior to the establishment of the Temi Tea Garden, the land which presently belongs to the garden was filled with nurseries of the Forest Department. During the British Raj in the country, this very site served as a place which housed Scottish missionary buildings, particularly during the 1900s. These buildings were said to have acted as leprosy hospitals at that point of time and were later confiscated by the Government of Sikkim. Farmers united, merged their lands and transformed this land into the tea plantation which one can observe today in 1998. This was performed under the scheme of 'Sang Martam Tea Growers Society' which consisted of 140 members and is under a Tea Board which has been established by the Government of Sikkim. The green tea leaves which are plucked from this garden are processed by the factory of the Temi Tea Garden. Nearly 75% of the tea which grows in this tea garden is auctioned in the city of Kolkata and the remaining 25% is sold as packaged tea in the local markets.
Tourist Attractions near Temi Tea Garden
Exotic birds like Satyr tragopan, rusty-bellied, kalij, lesser shortwings and numerous attractive butterflies have built their natural habitats near the Temi Tea Garden. Cherry blossom trees and cardamom plants dominate the area of the tea estates of Temi. One can enjoy wonderful views of the villages based nearby, accompanied by the views of the Eastern Himalayas and Mount Kanchenjunga from here. Visitors might also opt to pay a visit to the tea factory situated here to be enlightened about the techniques of tea processing.
Tourists visiting Temi Tea Garden can also visit the hamlet of Ravangla, which is located at a height of nearly 7000 feet, in the district of South Sikkim. This place is gradually emerging into an interesting tourist locale in Sikkim and offers great experiences of village tourism. One will be capable of enjoying breathtaking sights of the beautiful local flora and fauna, tea estates, villages and monasteries which are also existent near the Temi Tea Garden. Enthusiastic tourists can choose to trek to Maenam Hill and Tendong Hill, through Ravangla. Sewaro Rock Garden, Kangchendzonga Waterfalls, Pemayangtse Monastery, Rabdentse Ruins, Khecheopalri Lake and Rimbi Waterfalls are the other interesting tourist spots in West Sikkim which can be accessed.
Buses or taxis can be used to commute to Temi Tea Garden. One can avail of these modes of transportation from places like Gangtok, Pelling, Ravangla or Namchi. It would take about 4 hours to reach Temi from Bagdogra and 3.5 hours to approach Temi from New Jalpaiguri.
Tourists can visit Temi Tea Garden throughout the year, though it is advised that one must visit Temi tea Garden during the months of November and December if he is looking forward to be rejuvenated by the beautiful views of cherry blossoms. If one is a lover of mountains, he should pay a visit Temi during the months of October till February if he wants to visit Mount Kanchenjunga.
(Last Updated on : 21-09-2013)
|More Articles in Sikkim (72)|