History of Malabar Special Police
The Malabar Special Police was originally raised as the Malappuram Special Police in 1884. The headquarters of the unit was initially located in Malappuram and it comprised of a European Inspector, a Bugler four Sergeants, four Native Head Constables and eighty Constables. The troops were temporarily drafted into a special force to suppress the rebellion of native Muslims Moplahs. In 1897 the Malappuram Special Police squad became permanent.
During the Moplah Revolt in 1921, the former Malabar experienced problems related to maintenance of law and order. Thus the District Superintendent of Police in South Malabar suggested that a special force should be raised that will be equipped and armed like infantry battalions of British Indian Army. This suggestion was accepted by the Viceroy's Government on 30 September 1921. Thus six companies of Auxiliary Police were formed with six British Officers, eight Subedars, sixteen Jemadars, sixty Havildars and six hundred Constables.
Therefore the Malabar Special Police served under the administrative control of the British authorities and were mostly engaged in suppressing native disturbances.
Development of Malabar Special Police
After the country acquired independence from the supremacy of the British Empire in India on 15th August 1947, the nation was segregated into 2 parts by the Partition of India. Accordingly the British Indian Army was also divided amongst the Union of India and the Dominion of Pakistan. The Malabar Special Police unit was assigned to the modern Army of independent India. Later in 1956, it was divided into 2 divsions. One division was allotted to Kerala and the other division was assigned to Madras (now Chennai).