The Princely State of Mandwa was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub division of Western India States Agency. Later the region became a part of the Indian state of Gujarat.
History of Princely State of Mandwa
The Chauhan Rajputs were the original rulers of the princely state of Mandwa. The native rulers of the state, who held the title of Thakors, descended from the last Rajput king of Delhi and were related to the ruling families of Chhota Udaipur and Baria. The ruling family initially settled in Nanderi, but later moved to the territory of Chadod, and later to Mandwa. Sabal Sinhji and Kanji Sinhji, two brothers, founded the branches of Shanor and Mandwa respectively during the latter half of the 17th century. The succession of the throne was governed by the rule of male primogeniture. The Chandod village was considered as a religious pilgrimage center and a key source of revenue for the native ruler. Although Mandwa had full revenue rights over the village, but civil and criminal jurisdiction was exercised by Baroda. As a result of this, several disputes occurred between the Baroda durbar and the Thakor of Mandwa.
The Princely State of Mandwa was a jurisdictionary native state of the fifth class, before the abolition of the classes in the year 1928. The native ruler of the territory exercised limited jurisdictional authority. The native chiefs who exercised jurisdictional powers were formally addressed as Meherban. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Mandwa was attached to Baroda.
After the nation achieved independence from the rule of the British Government of India on 15th August 1947, the last native ruler of Mandwa, acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India, also known as the Dominion of India.
|More Articles in Princely States of India (466)|