(Last Updated on : 12/07/2012)
The Princely State of Kathrota, also Katrota, was one of the former princely states of India which existed during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states of India
under the indirect rule of the British administration. The region covered a total area of 1 sq mile and comprised of a total population of 238 in the year 1931. The taluka of Kathrota was located in the Lakhapadar Thana and includes only a single village, which was situated around 10 miles towards the south of Bagasra. The native state of Kathrota was bordered by a remote block of territory that belonged to Amreli in the north; by a small exclave of the princely state of exclave in the south and the east; and by the territory of Vekaria in the west.
The erstwhile princely state of Kathrota was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub-division of the Western India States Agency
. Later the territory was merged with the state of Gujarat
. The region was also a part of the Western Kathiawar Agency
and the Lakhapadar Thana as well.
The Lakhapadar Thana, which was scattered over a total area of 111 sq miles and comprised of a population of 13,155 in the year 1931, was located in southeastern Kathiawar. Almost all of the 21 estates in the state included around 247 bhagdars and 41 talukdars in 1940. The territory was bordered by the Amreli Division of Baroda, although some of them bounded on Vala Kathi talukas and the princely state of Junagadh
. Lakhapadar thana also implemented jurisdiction over the princely state of Dhasa that belonged to the state of Rai Sankli. It also exercised jurisdiction over Bhayavadar which belonged to the territory of Kotda Pitha for more than 60 years.
History of Princely State of Kathrota
The native ruler of the princely state of Kathrota, who held the title of Talukdar, was a Vala Kathi. The native rulers of the state were in charge of supervision of the administration of the state; where as the Resident of British India
, also known as the Political Agent, managed the associations of the state with the British Government and other states. The Kathrota was a non- jurisdictionary native state. The territory paid annual tribute to the princely state of Baroda. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Kathrota was attached to the princely state of Baroda
The last Talukdar of the princely state of Hapa acceded the state to the newly independent Union of India
after the political withdrawal of the British Government of India
from the country on 15th August 1947. After the country was divided between India and Pakistan, the native rulers of the states were given the choice of acceding to either the Dominion of India or the Dominion of Pakistan. The native ruler of the state decided to merge with the Republic of India.