(Last Updated on : 13-07-2012)
The Princely State of Kamsoli was amongst the princely states of India
during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states under the indirect rule of the British administration. The region was extended over a total area of 2.50 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 600 in the year 1931. The territory of Kamsoli was one of the 27 states which formed up the Sankheda Mehvassi, located on the banks of the Narbada (Narmada
) River, in eastern Gujarat
. It was incorporated as a part of the erstwhile Rewa Kantha Agency. The region was amongst the most important units in the Sankheda Mehvassi. The princely state of Kamsoli consisted of a single block of land located in the south central portion of the Sankheda Mehvassi.
The Princely State of Kamsoli was bounded by the princely state of Jiral
in the north; by the princely state of Baroda
and the princely state of Chudesar in the west; by the region of Uchad in the east; and by the territories of Virampur and Jiral in the south. The native state was under the administrative control of the Baroda Agency
, which was incorporated as a part of the Western India States Agency
. Later the territory was merged with the state of Gujarat. Kamsoli state was also part of the erstwhile Rewa Kantha Agency.
History of Princely State of Kamsoli
The princely state of Kamsoli was claimed by more than one native prince, who were formally addressed as shareholders. There were 3 such shareholders, including bhagdars and talukdars in the state. The Gori Rajputs
, a cadet branch of the ruling family of the princely states of Chudesar and Nalia, were the shareholders the territory. Kamsoli state was a non- jurisdictionary native state. The rule of male primogeniture, through which the first born or eldest child of the same parents inherited the entire estate of one or both parents, to the exclusion of all others, was not followed in the succession of the throne or gadi of the native state.
The Princely State of Kamsoli was divided into 2 separate branches, and the senior branch paid annual tribute to the princely state of Baroda. During the mid-19th century, the annual tribute was separately paid by 2 native estate holders, who held the title of Thakor, and each held atleast a single village. The 2 villages were known as Kamsoli Nani and Kamsoli Moti. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, Kamsoli state was attached to the princely state of Baroda.
After the Partition of India and the departure of the British Government of India
in the year 1947, the state was acceded to the newly independent Union of India
, which also known as the Dominion of India, by the shareholders of Kamsoli state. The former princely state is currently a part of the Tilakwada Taluk in the district of Narmada, Gujarat state, India.