The native rulers of the princely state of Borkhera, who held the title of Thakor, were Rathor Rajputs, descendants of Fateh Singh of Ratlam. After the death of the son of Fateh Singh, named Amar Singh, the original terriotry was segmented amongst his 4 sons. As a result of this, the distinct estates of Borkhera, Sadakheri, Kerwasa and Sirsi were formed. Chhatar Singh, who was among the 4 brothers, received the village of Rewas, which was the centre of the state of Borkhera. The native rulers of the state were in charge of supervision of the administration of the state; where as the Resident of British India, also known as the Political Agent, managed the associations of the state with the British Government and other states.
The Princely State of Borkhera was a guaranteed feudatory of the state of Jaora. The region was granted in the year 1839. The Thakor of the state of Borkhera possessed the 2 villages of Rewas and Borkhera on istimrar from the local government of Jaora under guarantee of the British administration in India.
The last Thakor of the princely state of Bhandaria, who was the 11th of his line, acceded the princely state to the Dominion of India, also known as Union of India, after the country gained independence from the British Dominion in the year 1947. Later the region was incorporated as a part of the Indian state of Rajasthan.