History of Princely State of Bharudpura
The native rulers, also identified as Indian princes by the British authorities, of the territory held the title of Bhumia. The Bhumias of the princely state of Bharudpura were primarily Bhilalas of the Anjana sept. The Bhilalas were descendants of Bheraji, who was the eldest grandson of Nanaji. He was the common stem of all bhumia families excluding Nimkhera. The Princely State of Bharudpura was established in the year 1660. Bharudpura state was a guaranteed bhumiat of the princely state of Dhar. The territory was formed up of 4 villages and almost 11 hamlets. These were held from Dhar state in Halbandi and Istimrari tenures and under the guarantee of the British East India Company. It also included one village in the Maheshwar pargana of the princely state of Indore, which was unguaranteed.
The region was linked with Chiktiabar, which was around 7 miles towards the south. This region was a distinct state during 1839 to 1908 and was under one of the branch of the ruling family. It was relapsed to the princely state of Bharudpura in the same year when the succession of the throne failed. In the years 1886 and 1903, the British Government of India recognized the right of the local administration of the princely state of Dhar to implement jurisdiction in the guaranteed bhumiats and thakurats subordinate to it.
After this right was recognized by the British, the native ruler of Dhar state conceded limited civil and criminal jurisdictional authority conceded limited civil and criminal jurisdictional powers to the shareholders and estate holders who were deemed competent of applying them, which also included the princely state of Bharudpura.
In the year 1947, the last Bhumia of the princely state of Bharudpura acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India, also known as Dominion of India after the Indian independence.
|More Articles in Princely States of India (466)|