History of Princely State of Sihora
The Parmar Barias were the ruling family of Sihora. The Hindu native rulers of the state held the title of Thakor. The princely state was one of the major and perhaps the earliest estates in the Pandu Mehvassi region. The state had several subsidiaries such as Jumkha, Nahara, Varnol Mal, Kanora and Amrapur. Succession in Sihora state was governed by the rule of primogeniture, which refers to the law of the right of the first born child, particularly the eldest son, to inherit the entire property of one or both parents.
The Princely State of Sihora was located in the northern part of the Pandu Mehvassi. It was bounded by the region of Jumkha Jumkha in the north; by Varnol Mol, Gothda and Nahara in the east; by the territory of Chhaliar in the northeast; by Baroda state in the south, by the British district of Kaira in the west; and by Amrapur in the southwest. The princely state of Sihora was a jurisdictionary state of the 6th class, before classes were eradicated in the year 1928. The courts of the state exercised very restricted civil and criminal jurisdictional powers. The native ruler took charge of the administrative functions of the state. The ruler of Sihora state was an original member of the Chamber of Princes in his own right. The state paid annual tribute to the Baroda Agency. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the state of Sihora was attached to the princely state of Baroda.
After the independence of India and the withdrawal of the British Government on 15th August 1947, the native ruler acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India, also known as the Dominion of India. Presently, Sihora is a municipality and a town in the district of Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh state, India.