History of Princely State of Kurundwad
The Kurundwad state was founded in the year 1772 through a grant from the peshwa. It was later segregated into 2 parts; one of the divisions known as Shedbal lapsed to the British administration in the year 1857. Later in 1855, the remaining state of Kurundwad was further split between a senior branch and a junior branch. The senior branch covered a total area of 185 sq miles, where as the junior branch was scattered over a total area of 114 sq miles. Both the regions were extensively spread amongst other princely states of India and various British districts. According to the census of India, the total population of the senior branch of the princely state of Kurundwad was 42,474 and the total population of the junior branch was 34,003. Both the senior and junior divisions were led by native chiefs, who were Brahmins by caste and belonged to the Patwardhan dynasty.
Both the branches had their residence in the town of Kurundwad which comprised of a total population of 10,415 in the year 1901. Meherban Raja Raghunathrao Ganpatrao Dadasaheb Patwardhan was the last ruler of the princely state. After the country attained independence on 15th August 1947, the princely state was acceded to the newly formed Union of India, also known as Dominion of India.
At present, Kurundwad is located in Kolhapur district, on the banks of the Panchganga River; and is situated in the southern part of Maharashtra state.