(Last Updated on : 11-06-2012)
The Princely State of Dhudhraj, also known as Dhujrej or Dudhrej, was one of the native states during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states of India
under the indirect rule of the British Government of India
. The native state was scattered over a total area 12 sq miles and comprised of a total area of 2,659 in the year 1931. The taluka of Dhudhraj was located in the District Thana of Wadhwan and consisted of 2 villages that were located in distinctive blocks of land to the southwest and northwest of Wadhwan respectively. The District Thana of Wadhwan was generally bordered by Lakhtar in the north; by Limbdi
in the south and east; and by Wadhwan in the west. Most of the 17 estates in the territory were branches of Wadhwan
Later in the year 1935, the region was merged with Bhoika Thana in order to create the new territory of Wadhwan Bhoika Thana, for the purpose of convenience. It included 35 estates, which covered a total area of 347 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 38,719 in the year 1931. The Princely State of Dhudhraj was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub division of the Western India States Agency
. It was also a part of the Eastern Kathiawar Agency
and the District Thana of Wadhwan. Later Dhudhraj became a part of the state of Gujarat
The former native state was a non- jurisdictionary state. The Princely State of Dhudhraj was not ruled by a single monarch but was shared by several shareholders, who held the title estateholders. There were three such shareholders in Dhudhraj state. The sovereigns of the state of Dhudhraj were Jhala Rajputs
, bhayats of Wadhwan. The estateholders of the District Thana of Wadhwan were well educated and esteemed individuals. They were politically aware as well. The shareholders of the princely state of Gundiala paid annual tribute to Wadhwan. Under the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Dhudhraj was attached to Wadhwan.
In the year 1948, the last native ruler of Dhudhraj state acceded the princely state to the Dominion of India, also known as Union of India
, after the country gained independence from the British Government on 15th August 1947. Later the territory was merged with the modern India state of Gujarat. At present, Dudhrej is a municipality in Surendranagar city, located in the district of Surendranagar
in Gujarat state, India.