(Last Updated on : 11-06-2012)
The Princely State of Dhrangadhra, formally known as Halvad Dhrangadhra, was one of the 13 gun salute states of India, during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states of India
under the indirect rule of the British administration. The region was scattered over a total area of 1,167 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 94,417 in the year 1941. After the attachment of states under the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the total area covered was 1,853 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 170,563. Dhrangadhra included 151 villages and 2 main towns. It was segregated into 7 districts or mahals. The Indian princely state was the leading state in northeastern Kathiawar and was bordered by the Rann of Kutch
in the north; by Wadhwan
Bajana, Rajpur, Lakhtar, Muli and the British district of Ahmedabad
in the east; by Wankaner, Wadhwan, Sayla, Muli and Lakhtar in the south; and by Malia Morvi and Wankaner
in the west.
The princely state of Dhrangadhra was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub division of Western India States Agency
. The territory of Halvad Dhrangadhra later became a part of the Indian state of Gujarat
History of Princely State of Dhrangadhra
The Makwana or Jhala Rajputs was the ruling family of Dhrangadhra state. The region was developed from the princely state of Jhalawad that was founded around 1090 AD. Dhrangadhra was established as its capital in 1735 AD. During this period, the princely state was renamed as Dhrangadhra Halvad state from its earlier name of Kuwa, Halwad. Harpaldeo or Harpal Deva was founded the princely state in the 13th century. Harpaldeo was married twice and his descendants from his first wife were identified as Jhala Rajputs, where the descendants from his second wife were known as Makwana Rajputs
The Princely State of Dhrangadhra was honoured as a salute state of India with a gun salute of 13 guns. Dhrangadhra state was a former First Class state and was ranked 7th in order of precedence among the states of Western India. A State Council was established which was invested with supreme executive and legislative powers. The native ruler of the state, who held the title of Maharaja Raj Saheb, presided over the state council. The courts of the state exercised full civil and criminal jurisdiction. The princely state of Dhrangadhra paid tribute to the princely state of Junagadh
Under the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the taluka of Ramparda and the Jhala states of Lakhtar, Chuda and Sayla, including the Parmar holdings of Muli and Munjpur, were administratively attached to Dhrangadhra.
After the withdrawal of the British and the independence of India on 15th August 1947, the last Maharaja Raj Saheb of Dhrangadhra state, who was 45th of his line, acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India
, also known as the Dominion of India. Later the territory was merged with the modern Indian state of Gujarat
. At present, Dhrangadhra is a municipality and a city in the district of Surendranagar in Gujarat state, India.