(Last Updated on : 07/05/2012)
The Princely State of Changbhakar was amongst main states during the rule of the British Empire in India
. During the early 19th century, the region was appointed as one of the princely states of India
under the indirect rule of the British administration. Changbhakar state was under the Chhattisgarh
States Agency of the Eastern States Agency
. The territory was scattered over a total area of 2,330 sq km and the population of the princely state of Changbhakar in the year 1941 was 21,266. Bharatpur was the capital of the princely state. The region included125 villages and was the located in the westernmost part of the Eastern States Agency. The territory is bounded by the district of Koriya (Korea
) in the east and by Rewa
on the north, south and west.
History of Princely State of Loharu
Changbhakar state was appointed as a tributary state of British India following the Anglo Maratha war
in the early 19th century and was placed under Chota Nagpur States. The state was reassigned in October 1905 and was brought under the control of the Commissioner of Chattisgarh division of Central Provinces. The Indian Prince or Raja of the princely state implemented the authority of a ruling chief and had the benefit of restricted civil and criminal jurisdiction. Changbhakar state was among the initial constituent members of the Chamber of Princes
. The native ruler held the title of Bhaiya. The Chauhan Agnikola Rajputs
was the ruling family of the princely state of Changbhakar. The younger son of the Raja of Koriya named Jorawar Sinh was granted the zamindari estate of Changbhakar around 1790. During the era of the Maratha Empire, the state, along with Koriya, Joshpur and Udaipur
, accepted the sovereingty of the Raja of Surguja, which was a vassal of the native ruler of Nagpur
Changbhakar came under the protection and indirect control of the British East India Company
in the year 1818 after the culmination of the Third Anglo Maratha War
. In 1891, the British Government of India
decided that the five states of the Surguja group, namely Changbhakar, Koriya, Jashpur, Udaipur and Surguja, as well as Kharsawan, Seraikela, Bonai and Gangpur, earlier known as the Tributary Mahals of Chhota Nagpur, were not included as a part of British India. In 1899, revised sanads were issued, which officially recognized these states as feudatory states and defined their association with the British administration.
After the nation gained independence and the withdrawal of the British administration on 15th August 1947, the princely state of Changbhakar was acceded to the newly formed Union of India
, also known as the Dominion of India on 1st January 1948. It was placed under Surguja district of Central Provinces and Berar. At present the region is a sub-division and a tehsil of Koriya (also spelled Korea) district of the Indian state of Chhattisgarh in Central India.