History of Princely State of Baraundha
The Princely State of Baraundha was a petty sanad state covering around 565 sq km. The Raghuvansi Rajputs were the ruling family of the state and reigned over the region for more than four hundred years. The state was administered by the ruling family for over 40 generations. At a certain period, the territory of Baraundha used to be much bigger, and even included the district of Banda. During the 18th century, under the Bundela supremacy, the state was held on a sanad from Hirdeshah of Panna. Later the state came under the protection of the British Government of India and was accorded a hereditary gun salute of 9 guns. Baraundha was a part of Baghelkhand Agency from the year 1871 to 1931, when it was reassigned to Bundelkhand Agency, along with other smaller princely states. After the British accession to political supremacy, Thakur Mohkam Singh was recognized and established in his state by a sanad granted in the year 1807.
The native ruler of the princely state of Baraundha held the title of Thakor until 1908, after which they were addressed as Raja. The Raja implemented administrative powers with certain restrictions. Baraundha is among the original constituent members of the Chamber of Princes, a number of smaller states indirectly represented by 12 princes who are elected periodically.
On 1 January 1950, the last native ruler of Baraundha state acceded the princely state to the Dominion of India, also known as Union of India, after the country gained independence from the British Dominion in the year 1947.