Location of Shantadurga Temple
Shri Shantadurga Temple is situated at the peak of Kavalem village in Ponda Taluka, Goa. The temple is located 33 kilometres away from Panaji, the capital city of Goa.
History of Shantadurga Temple
The deity of the temple, Shanta Durga is a form of Goddess Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva. Being the most powerful of all goddesses, she also takes on a violent form and is then referred to as Durga. According to a legend, once during a quarrel between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu, she appeared in the form of Durga and helped to resolve their fight. In the Sanskrit language, Shanta means peace. Thus by combining the two names, emerged the name Shantadurga, who has now come to be the Goddess of Peace. The temple was built in 1738 by king Shahu of Satara is the largest and most famous temple in Goa.
Architecture of Shantadurga Temple
The beautiful idol of Goddess Shree Shanta Durga has a 6 inch coloured Shivalinga adjacent to it. The temple is well-equipped with Agrashalas and accommodated with modern facilities and multiple halls. The temple has a beautiful Garbhakuda where the idol is kept. The temple was built in 1738 during the reign of Maratha king Shahu Raje of Satara at the request of Naro Ram Mantri. It is one of the main attractions of Goa that attracts devotees from far and near.
The Shivalinga at the temple is considered as belonging to the Mahajans of the surname 'Vorde' who are Kulavis of the Shri Manguesha Temple. The goddess is said to have to Shankawali to kill the demons harassing the Brahmins there. It is for this good deed that she also earned the name of Vijaya.
Festivals of Shantadurga Temple
Following are the chief Festivals of Shantadurga Temple:
|More Articles in Temples of Goa (28)|