Bijoliyan is situated in the south east of Bhilwara. It is close to the borders of the Bundi district. The ancient name of Bijoliya was 'Vindhyavali'. It is walled with two gates, North and South, and picturesquely situated on a plateau called the Uparmal. Objects of historical interest here include three Saivite temples, probably of the tenth century; a reservoir called the Mandakini Baori with steps; five Jain temples dedicated to Parashvanatha. The remains of a palace and two rock inscriptions deserve mention. The Jain temples, situated about 1.5 Km. of the south east were built by Mahajan Lala in the time of the Chauhan Raja Someshwar of Ajmer in 1170 AD. One of them is considered sacred, containing a complete small model of a temple inside. The rock inscriptions are both dated 1170 AD.
Shahpura, the capital of the erstwhile state of Shahpura, is the town that houses the headuarters of the sub division, tehsil and panchayat samiti of the same name. It is about 58 Kms. from district headquarters. The rulers of the erstwhile chiefship of Shahpura belonged to the Sisodia Clan of Rajputs. Shahpura is a place of pilgrimage for the followers of the 'Ram Snehis' Sect .Founded by the Hindus in 1804, they have a shrine in the town as 'Ram Dwara' .The chief priest of Ram Dwara is the head of the sect. Pilgrims from all over the world visit the shrine throughout the year. Ram Snehi is an Internation Hindu sect. An annual fair, which is called 'Phool Dol Ka Mela' is held here on Phalgun Shukla '15(March-April) for five days. About one lac people attend the fair. It is also famous for Phad painitings.
Mandalgarh is situated at a distance of 54 Kms from towards the south east of Bhilwara. It has a sub division, tehsil and panchayat of the same name. The place is of great historical importance because it was the scene of many a fierce battle during the mediaeval times, according to Muslim historians. The place was taken twice by Mahmud Khilji of Malwa in the middle of the fifteenth century, and subsequently appears to have belonged alternately to the Ranas of Mewar and the Mughal Emperors. In or about 1650 A.D. Shah Jahan granted it as a Jagir to Raja Roop Singh of Kishangarh, who partially built a palace here, but Rana Raj Singh retook it in 1660.A.D. Rana Amar Singh recovered the palace in 1706 AD from the Chief of Pisangan, Jhujar Singh. It has since remained in the uninterrupted possession of his successors. Lying to the north-west is a fort, about half a mile in length, with a low rampart wall and bastions encircling the crest of the hill on which it stands. The fort is said to have been constructed by a chief of the Balnote Clan of Rajputs (a branch of Solankis). There is an old temple by the name of Jaleswar. The fort also houses a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Asind is a tehsil and Panchayat Samiti. The town is known for the temples situated on the left bank of the Khari River, built by Sawai Bhoj. During the princely rule, it was an estate comprising seventy two villages, held by one of the first class nobles of the Mewar state, who had the title of Rawat. Gangapur, headquarters of the Sahara tehsil, is a town situated at a distance of about 46 Kms in the south-west of the district headquarters. It was part of the erstwhile princely state of Gwalior (now in Madhya Pradesh.) prior to independence. It is now municipal town. The Ganga Bai Chhatri is located here. Pur is situated at about 10 Kms from Bhilwara city. It is famous for the Udan Chhatri, Adhar Shila and Patola Mahadev. The Bhilwara Municpal Corporation is developing a tourist place at Gata Rani Mandir. The Badnore fort is situated 70 Kms from Bhilwara on the Bhilwara-Asind road. It is a beautifully constructed ancient forth which is well worth a visit when on a visit to the district.
Thus listed above are the various places of tourism in the district of Bhilwara.
|More Articles in Bhilwara District (4)|