History of Kutch Museum
The Kutch Museum initially formed a part of the school of art, established by Maharao Khengarji on 1st July, 1877. At the time of Maharao Khengarji's marriage in Feb - 1884, an exhibition of Kutch arts and crafts was arranged. Exhibits worth Rs. 3300 were given to the Museum at the termination of the exhibition. These exhibits necessitated the construction of a new building. Accordingly, on 14 November, 1884, the foundation stone for the present museum building was laid by the governor of Bombay, Sir James Fergusson. The two storied building was designed by the state engineer MC Lelland and was constructed at a cost of Rs.32000.Earlier the museum was open to the public only on religious occasions. After independence the museum came to be known as the Kutch museum.
Relics Preserved in Kutch Museum
Relics of the Kutch Museum are preserved in almost 11 sections. These galleries are a home to a variety of objects of great antiquity. Some of these authentic ancient items are the Indus seals housed in the archeological section, inscriptions, paintings, classical and musical instruments like the Nagfani and Morchang, coins (inclusive of the Koris - Kutch's local currency till 1948), different kinds of stone tablets, sculptures, wood work, precious metalwork, embroidery, arms and the tribal relics. More specifically, this museum has the largest existing collection of Kshatrapa inscriptions. They are as old as 1st century AD. Gujarati Abhir inscription, which belongs to the 3rd century is another noteworthy examples of inscription preserved in the Kutch Museum. The Kshatrap inscription is known to be found in Andhau. This museum has also preserved the now extinct, Kutchi script. The section housing painting displays different vocations of the people of Kutch. Artifacts related to tribal culture are the folk arts and crafts and information about tribal people. This museum also houses Kutch silver, golden and enameling work, textiles and old utensils. On the ground floor in the central room is displayed Airavat, an Indian elephants. In 1978, the Government of India issued a postal stamp showing Airavat to commemorate the museum's centenary.
Museums of Gujarat
Museums in Kutch
Madosa College Museum
Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum
Museum Of Antiguities
Prabhas Patan Museum
|More Articles in Museums in Kutch (2)|