(Last Updated on : 21/07/2011)
Designing a Home using Vastu is considered as essential because it plays a great role in influencing one's mood, personal and social life, thoughts as well as professional success. Vastu Shastra
is a holistic science. Everything in the universe is composed of five basic elements - earth, water, fire, air and space. These are the elements upon which designing of a Home Vastu
is related. It is also said that any violation in the principals of Vastu leads to pain and suffering.
Essentials of Vastu
to be considered while designing a home Vastu- Bedrooms Vastu Shastra - Bedroom is a place to unwind and relax. So, one should be very careful before designing a bedroom. It requires detailed planning and designing. It is said the direction in which one sleeps affects the work ability as well as the private life. Thus, if the designing of a bedroom is not appropriate it is likely to have disturbed sleep, restlessness, frequent fight with the partner; enduring health problem and above all lack of peace. Proper care must be taken regarding the appropriate location of the bedroom in a home. Further, proper direction of the bed, the orientation of the entrance as well as the windows, placement of the bed, direction of the mirror, locker, dressing table, television, cooler, audio systems, and last but not least the position of telephone should be taken care of. Colour scheme of the bedroom needs proper attention.
Drawing Room Vastu
- The living room or the drawing room
is an expression of one's tastes and style. The first look of the drawing room creates an everlasting impression of one's lifestyle. A proper impression is based on the arrangement and layouts and thus; one should not neglect the Vastu settings in this zone. Drawing rooms are the zones of important meetings and it is necessary that one must face the correct direction in order to achieve the positive benefits. Vastu principles applied in proper order lift ones confidence and implements positive energies.
Generally, it is said that according to Vastu principal, living room should be in the north or eastern side of the home. One must try to avoid the north east and south west part for having a living room. The head of the family and other senior family members should sit facing the north or east direction. The walls should be painted in bright colours and dark shades should be avoided. The television and the air-conditioners should be placed in the south east corner of the room. Avoid the North East corner. Further, lighting of the living room should be bright and the heavy chandeliers should be placed in the south-west portion and never in the central part. It is advisable to have windows towards the East or North portion so that positive energies could flow into the home.
Children's room Vastu
- This room holds special importance as the principals of Vastu for Children's room governs the health; performance in studies and games of the kid. If it is not in suitable angle, children will not be able to study properly and will feel restless. Their study tables should be placed in the northern or eastern corner of the room and they should face the east while studying.
- Bathrooms and toilets should be posted in the northwest, west or southern direction of the house. The mirrors and washbasins should be placed in the east with taps and other accessories in the south. An attached toilet should always cater to the northwestern side of the room. Vastu also advises to construct a bigger window on the north whereas a smaller window on the western section of the toilet. Try and avoid red and black colours on the walls and should stick to lighter shades.
- Vastu for kitchen considers various things, which when appropriately placed, pave way for safety in the kitchen. Some of the essential determinants include direction and placement of doors and windows, correct location of the kitchen, position of cooking gas, gas cylinder, sink, refrigerator and other electronic gadgets etc.
Furniture Types- There are many things that should be considered while designing the furniture as per Vastu principals. Use wooden furniture made out of Oak wood, or ash wood. Try to place the bookshelf in the east or north.
Colours of Walls
- Rooms in the northern section of the house should be painted in shades of green signifying prosperity. The south is governed by the planet Mars. Coral red as well as purple tones are ideal. Pearl or silvery white as well as milky white can be used in the southeast, which is governed by Venus. The northwest predominated by the Moon, colours like white, fawn and cream work well. Shades like pale yellow, lemon or cream in the northeast region are effective. Bright reds, warm oranges or even sunny yellows for the east work well, as this region is governed by the Sun. The Saturn governs the west, which is black in colour.
It is recommended to use green colour for wall paintings in the study room, as it enhances the rational capability of an individual. Yellow or Sandal wall colour is considered best match for a prayer room.