The different places of the district that attract tourists and travelers from all over the world are as follows:
Bastion Bungalow: This was built in the Indo-European style way back in 1667 AD. This bungalow gets its name from its location on the site of the Stromberg Bestion of the old, Dutch fort. This is located in Ernakulum and is a famous tourist spot.
Bhoothathankettu: It is a scenic dam site with boating facilities and is situated in a vast virgin forest. It is a popular picnic spot with Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary near by. It is situated at the distance of 50 km northeast of Ernakulum District.
Bolghatty: The Dutch built this place in 1744. Later it became the place of the British resident of Cochin. Today it is a hotel run by K.T.D.C. The grounds of this place have a small golf course and several vantage points for lovely views of the harbor and the sea. It is situated 3 kms from Ernakulum and is accessible by boat.
Chendamangalam: Once upon a time this land was the residence of the Paliath Achans, the prime ministers of the Maharajas of Kochi. Their residence, which is named as the Paliam Palace, represents the architectural splendor of Kerala. In the Palace there is a collection of historic documents and relics. It is situated about 42 kms from Ernakulam.
Cherai Beach: This place is the unique combination of sea and backwaters rimmed by lush green coconut palms. It is situated at 25 kms from Kochi.
The children's park: It is a high-tech park with Non-Conventional Energy Museum and Musical Fountain. The children enjoy a lot with the facilities available here. It is situated in Ernakulam district.
Chinese fishing Nets: One of the important places is Chinese Fishing Nets. This is a legacy connected between the China and India many centuries ago. The long rows of Chinese nets silhouetted against the sunset present a spectacular sight of Cochin's waterfront. This is situated at Fort Kochi Beach.
Chottanikkara Temple: The specialty of this temple is here mother Goddess worshipped in three different forms - as Saraswati in the morning - draped in white, as Bhadrakali at noon clothed in crimson, and as Durga in the evening embellished in blue. It is situated at 13 kms away from Kochi.
Dutch Palace: The Dutch palace or Mattancherry palace was originally built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Cochin, Veera Kerala Varma in 1555. It was later taken over by the Dutch who imported it through extensions and repairs in 1663. it is at Mattanchery.
Hill palace: This place is the largest archeological museum of Kerala. Here Paintings, carvings, etchings and other trappings of royalty like majestic beds, weapons and samples of epigraphy are present everywhere. It is situated at 13 kms from Cochin on the Ernakulam-Chottanikara route.
Historical Museum: Here some of the important scenes of Kerala history are portrayed through Sculptures. Greeting the visitor outside is a statue of Parasurama, the mythological safe who is said to have created Kerala. It is situated at 6 kms from Ernakulam at Edapally.
Iringole Forest Temple: This temple is named as Iringo Kavu and is situated in the tropical rain forest, which is at 8 kms from kalady main town.
Jewish Synagogue: This Synagogue at Mattancherry built in 1568. It is the oldest Synagogue in the Common Wealth Countries. It was partially destroyed in the war of 1662, but was rebuilt by Dutch. In the mid 18th century when the clock tower was added. It is based at Fort Kochi.
Kalady: Kalady is the birthplace of Adi Shankaracharya the great Indian Philosopher who lived in the 8th century. There are two shrines in memory of Sankaracharya; one for Dakshinamoorthy and the other for the Goddess Sharada. This place is 45 kms away from Cochin.
Kallil Temple: This is a 9th century Jain temple that is shaped out of from a huge rock on a small hill in a picturesque surrounding. The visitor has to climb 120 steps to reach this rare historic temple, which is sometimes very tough for the old people. It is situated at 22 kms from Kalady.
Kanjiramattom Mosque: It is believed that the mosque was constructed over the mortal remains of a Muslim saint, Sheikh Parid. Another great Muslim saint, Baver is supposed to have prayed here and attained salvation. This mosque is 30 kms away from Kochi.
Kodanad: This is one of the largest elephant-capturing centres of South India. In 1977 the elephant capturing came to an end, but the elephant kraal and training center are still there to maintain the history. It is situated at 45 kms to the north east of Cochin City and 12 kms to the east of Perumbavoor town.
Kottayil Kovilakam: Kottayil Kovilakam at Chennamangalam, which was the seat of Kshatriya chiefs of Villarvattom, is situated near the ancient Kunnathali temple. Chennamangalam is an important center of handloom weaving and coir manufacturing. It is situated at 42 kms from Ernakulam Districh.
Malayattor: This is a place of prayer and pilgrimage, which is made rich by the footsteps of St. Thomas the disciple, who disseminated the Christianity in this part of the world. This is placed at 47 kms from Ernakulam.
Marine Drive: Marine Drive is considered to be one of the most beautiful parts of Kochy city. This is a tremendous and outstanding experience to walk in this beach to release the tension of the outer world and so this can be called as the main hangout for the local populace as the view of the backwaters and the harbor from here is excellent. This is situated at the Ernakulam main district.
Pallipuram Fort: the Portuguese built This Pallippuram fort in 1503. It is one of the oldest existing European monuments in India. The Dutch captured the fort in 1661 and sold it to the State of Travancore in 1789. This fort is situated in the northern extremity of the Vypeen Island, which is at Pallipuram.
Parikshit Thampuran Museum: This museum contains some important collections of the 19th century as for example paintings, Pre-historic monuments, Old coins in a numismatic gallery, Scriptures in stone & Plaster of Paris, Copies of mural paintings etc. The collection that can be seen here has mainly come from the Cochin royal family.
Santa Cruz Bascillica: This is a Roman Catholic Church, which is situated near the St.Francis church and is worth a visit. It is a specimen of Portuguese architecture built in 1503. The ceiling and interior part of this church is mainly decorated with 'Frescoes' and mural paintings. It is situated at Fort Kochi.
St. Francis Church: This is the first European church in India. It was originally built in wood and named Santo Antonio in the 16th Century. In 1524 Vasco da Gama was buried here.
Thrikkakara Temple: The "Vamanamoorthy" temple has notable inscriptions dating back to the 10th-13th century, which is situated 8 kms from Kochi.
Willingdon Island: This is mainly a manmade island named after Lord Willingdon a former British Viceroy to India. Some of the good hotels in the city are Cochin Harbour, Southern Naval Command, etc. Port Trust head quarters, major trading centers etc. are situated at Willingdon Island. This island is connected to the mainland by road cum railway Venduruthy Bridge.
(Last Updated on : 23-12-2015)
|More Articles in Ernakulum District (6)|