(Last Updated on : 30-06-2010)
Chikkamagaluru is the administrative headquarters of the Chikkamagaluru
district in the southern state of Karnataka
. Situated 251 Km. from Bangalore
in the Bababudangiri range, Chikkamagaluru is a fertile valley and has many tea and coffee growing estates. Chikkamagaluru is well connected by road, rail and air with the other cities in the district. Regular trains are available to Bangalore, Mangalore and Hassan
.At a distance of 170 Km. is the nearest airport which is the Mangalore airport.
The word Chikkamagaluru literally means 'younger daughter's town' in native Kannada language. It is believed that this town was given as a dowry to the younger daughter of Rukmangada, the legendary chief of Sakrepatna. The other part of the town gifted to his elder daughter is known as the Hiremaglur, which means 'the town of the elder daughter'.
Chikkamagaluru is located at latitude of 13.32° North and at longitude of 75.78° East.The topography is located at 1037 metres (3402 feet) above mean sea level. The hillstations around Chikkamagaluru attracts a lot of tourists every year since they remain cool even during summers.The temperature of the city remains around 17-20 °C during winter and 32-35 °C during summer.
According to the 2001 census report,Chikkamagaluru has a population of 101,022 where males constitute 51% of the population and females 49% of the population.11% of the population is less than six years of age.Chikkamagaluru has an average literacy rate of 77% higher than the national standard of 59.5%.80% of the male population is literate while 73% of the female population is literate.
Chikkamagaluru is an important destination for trade and commerce as well as for education. Major attractions include Mullain Giri - the highest peak in Karnataka , the famous Kondadarama Temple, Jamia Mosque and the St Joseph's Cathedral, noted for its shell shaped portico. Nearby tourists spots are the 13th century Siddeshwara temple at Devanur 17th century Lakshmi Kantha temple and the cave of Nirvanaswam at Thiruvanahalli .