History of 3rd Indian Motor Brigade
The 3rd Indian Motor Brigade was raised from the troops of 18th King Edward's Own Cavalry, 11th Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry (Frontier Force) and the 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse). It was formed in the year 1940 by the British Empire in India. Initially the troops were led by Brigadier E. W. D. Vaughan who was the Commanding Officer of the 2nd Royal Lancers (2nd Regiment of Bengal Cavalry) regiment. Later it came under the administration of the 1st Indian Armoured Division from August 1940. The 3 cavalry regiments of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade were mechanized slowly throughout 1940. However the unit was not heavily armoured and carried only 2 pound guns. The regiment was short-equipped during their participation in military operations in April 1941. On 7th January 1941, the brigade was mobilized to take part in the Western Desert Campaign.
The 3rd Indian Motor Brigade was stationed in Egypt in January 1942. The regiment was re-organised and consisted of two squadrons and an anti-tank squadron. The regiment consisted of 2 Field Regiment, Indian Artillery; 3rd Motor Brigade signals troop; 3rd Motor Brigade M. T. Company, RIASC; 3rd Light Field Ambulance; 31st Field squadron Bengal Sappers and Miners; 18th KEO VII's Cavalry; 11th Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry; and 2nd Royal Lancers.
On 10th May 1942, the brigade was joined with the 7th Armoured Division and was sent to Point 171. Afterwards, the unit was re-structured at Buq Buq. The troops of the unit were dispersed in July 1942 and were assigned to perform guard duties. However, the military battalion was again reformed in August 1942. Later in January 1943, the cavalry regiments of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade went back to India. It was restructured as the 43rd Indian Infantry Brigade (Lorried) at Shaibah. The cavalry regiments were replaced by 2nd Battalion, 10th Gurkha Rifles; 2nd Battalion, 8th Gurkha Rifles and 2nd Battalion, 6th Gurkha Rifles. The 3rd Indian Motor Brigade was finally disbanded in 1943.