History of Bihar Light Horse
During the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 in British India, Fred Collingridge of the Doudpur factory took the initiative to develop an armed force for guard and protection of the British residents in Muzaffarpur. Collingridge, along with Joint Magistrate C. T. Metcalfe, presented an application for the formation of a Mounted Volunteer Corps to the Commissioner of the Behar (Bihar) division in the year 1862. As result of this, the Soubah Behar Mounted Rifles Volunteer Corps was raised on 8 December 1862. Major James Furlong served as the first Commanding Officer of the Unit.
The officers and troops of the Bihar Light Horse regiment fought against the Boers in South Africa in the year 1900. On 29 February 1884, the army unit was re-designated as the Bihar Light Horse Volunteer Corps. The battalion adopted the motto "Nec Aspera Terrent" on 1 April 1917. Later in October 1920, the unit was modified into the Bihar Light Horse Auxiliary Force.
Dissolution of Bihar Light Horse
After the political withdrawal of the British Empire in India, the former British India was divided into the Union of India and the Dominion of Pakistan through the Partition of India. Most of the regiments of the British Indian Army were accordingly divided amongst the 2 newly formed nations. However, the Bihar Light Horse unit was dissolved on 14 August 1947.
Designations of Bihar Light Horse
The Bihar Light Horse held a number of titles through out its service as a part of the British Indian Army. These are listed below-
* Soubah Behar Mounted Rifles Volunteer Corps - 1862
* Bihar Light Horse Volunteer Corps - 1884
* Bihar Light Horse Auxiliary Force - 1920
|More Articles in Presidency Armies in British India (314)|