History of 20th Bombay Native Infantry
The 20th Bombay Native Infantry was formed by the Honourable British East India Companyas the 2nd Battalion, 10th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry in the year 1817. The unit was renamed several times through out its existence. It was titled as the 20th Bombay infantry in 1885 and the 120th Rajputana Infantry in 1903 after the Kitchener reforms in the British Indian Army.
Military Operations of 20th Bombay Native Infantry
The infantry unit took part in the Anglo Persian War in the year 1856 and was honoured with the battle honours of Reshire, Persia, Kooshah and Bushire for their valiant services. During the First World War, the regiment was merged with the 6th (Poona) Division. The troop later participated in the Mesopotamia campaign.
The 20th Bombay Native Infantry fought in the Battle of Es Sinn, the Battle of Qurna, the Battle of Basra and the Battle of Ctesiphon. Later during the Siege of Kut, the troops surrendered to the rival forces. Eventually a 2nd battalion of the 120th Rajputana Infantry regiment was raised by the reinforcements and the personnel on leave. It was stationed at Mesopotamia for providing military service during the Great War.
Development of 20th Bombay Native Infantry
After the culmination of World War I, the British administration restructured the entire British Indian army. As a consequence, the separate single infantry units were united together to create larger multi battalion regiments that included 4 to 6 battalions. The 20th Bombay Native Infantry was renamed as the 2nd (Prince of Wales's Own), 6th Rajputana Rifles in the year 1922.
After the India achieved freedom from the political domination of the British Empire in 1947, the country was divided by the Partition of India. Accordingly, the units of the British Indian Army were shared amongst the Union of India and the Dominion of Pakistan. The 120th Rajputana Infantry unit was allocated to the modern Indian Army.
Designations of 20th Bombay Native Infantry
The 20th Regiment of the Bombay Native Infantry regiment went through many modifications in its title during the re-grouping of the British Indian Army. They are listed below-
* 2nd Battalion, 10th Regiment of Bombay Native infantry in 1817
* 20th Bombay Native infantry in 1824
* 20th Bombay infantry in 1885
* 120th Rajputana Infantry in 1903
* 2nd (Prince of Wales's Own), 6th Rajputana Rifles in 1922
|More Articles in Bombay Army (32)|