History of 44th Merwara Infantry
The 44th Merwara Infantry regiment was raised in the year 1824, when the Sylhet Light Infantry was founded. The British Indian regiment was later known as the 44th Gurkhas and was eventually renamed as the 8th Gurkha Rifles. In the year 1861, the Mhairwara Local Battalion was designated as a civil unit. However in 1871, it was re-assigned to a military role as the Mhairwara Battalion. After the Kitchener reforms of the British Indian Army in 1903, the regiment was finally renamed as the 44th Merwara Infantry.
During the First World War, the military unit was incorporated as a part of the 12th Indian Division. It actively participated in the Battle of Khafajiya, the Battle of Shaiba and the Battle of Nasiriya in the Campaign of Mesopotamia.
Dissolution of 44th Merwara Infantry
After the First World War, the British Indian Army undertook several reforms to reduce to reduce the number of regiments. As a result, around 9 single battalion regiments were dissolved by the authorities. The 44th Merwara Infantry was amongst the 9 regiments and on 20 June 1921 it was disbanded.
Designation of 44th Merwara Infantry
The 44th Merwara Infantry regiment of the British Indian Army occupied a number of designations through out its service. These are mentioned below-
* The Mhairwara Local Battalion (1822)
* 14th (Mhairwara) Local Battalion (1823)
* 9th (Mhairwara) Local Battalion (1826)
* The Mhairwara Battalion (1843)
* The Ajmer and Mhairwara Police Corps (1861)
* The Mhairwara Battalion (1871)
* 44th Merwara Infantry (1903)
|More Articles in Bengal Army (87)|