Later in the year 1903, the 3 separate presidency armies were merged to form the United British Indian Army. The army unit was also incorporated as a part of the Madras Command. The 16th Madras Battalion was also known as the 77th Moplah Rifles regiment.
History of 16th Madras Battalion
The 16th Madras Battalion, also known as the 16th Madras Native Infantry, was established as the 17th Carnatic Battalion in the year 1777 by the Honourable British India Company. The military unit first participated in the Carnatic Wars and afterwards took part in the Second Mysore War and fought at the Battle of Sholinghur in the year 1781. The infantry regiment also fought in the Battle of Nagpore (now Nagpur).
The 77th Moplah Rifles also provided military service in the Second Mysore War, Third Mysore War, Third Burmese War and also in the First World War. The Government of India Act 1858, which was authorized after the Indian Rebellion in the year 1857, transferred the authority of the 3 Presidency Armies from the British East India Company to the British Empire in India. The regiment was later disbanded in the year 1907.
Designations of 16th Madras Battalion
The 16th Madras Native Infantry regiment comprised a number of designations through out its service in the British Indian Army. These are mentioned below -
* 17th Carnatic Battalion in 1777
* 16th Madras Battalion in 1784
* 2nd Battalion, 5th Madras Native Infantry in 1796
* 16th Madras Native Infantry in 1824
* 17th Madras Infantry in 1861
* 1st Moplah Rifles in 1902
* 77th Moplah Rifles in 1903
|More Articles in Madras Presidency (52)|