(Last Updated on : 06-08-2012)
The Princely State of Pantaladavi, also known as Pantalaori or Pantalavdi, was amongst the former native states of India that was appointed as one of the Indian princely states during the early 19th century. The princely state was under the indirect control of the British Empire in India
. The region was extended over a total area of 5 sq mile and comprised of a total population of 1,079 in the year 1941. The territory of Pantaladavi was one of the 27 states which formed up the Sankheda Mehvassi, located on the banks of the Narbada (Narmada
) River, in eastern Gujarat
. It was incorporated as a part of the erstwhile Rewa Kantha Agency.
History of Princely State of Pantaladavi
The princely state of Pantalavadi or Pantalaori was claimed by more than one native prince who were formally addressed as shareholders. There were 2 such shareholders in the native state of Pantalavadi, namely Nassullah Khan and Anwar Khan. The Padhiar Rajputs were the ruling family of the state. The rule of male primogeniture, through which the first born or eldest child of the same parents inherited the entire estate of one or both parents, to the exclusion of all others, was followed in the succession of the throne or gadi of Pantalavadi state.
Administration of Princely State of Pantaladavi
The Princely State of Pantaladavi was amongst the most significant units in the Sankheda Mehvassi. The native state was under the administrative control of the Baroda Agency, which was incorporated as a part of the Western India States Agency. Later the territory was merged with the state of Gujarat. The territory was primarily a non jurisdictionary state and the Political Agent, also known as Resident of British India
, supervised the relations of the native ruler and the state with the British administration and other Indian princely states.
The estate was segregated into two distinctive segments. The first segment comprised of 3 villages in the Gujarat States Agency, namely Fulwadi, Jarkhali and Godham, and also included 7 villages in Rajpipla as well. Two of these villages were co-shared with the other division. The second segment also comprised of 3 villages in the Gujarat States Agency, namely Bodikuva, Kasundar and Vadia. This division also consisted of 7 villages in Rajpipla and two of these were- coshared with the first branch. Both segments of the princely state of Pantaladavi paid annual tribute to the princely state of Rajpipla. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, Pantaladavi state was attached to the princely state of Baroda
Accession of Princely State of Pantaladavi
When the country achieved independence after the political withdrawal of the British Government of India
on 15th August 1947, the nation was divided between India and Pakistan. The native rulers of the princely states of India were given the option of acceding to either the Union of India
or the Dominion of Pakistan. The native shareholders of the princely state of Pantaladavi decided to accede his state to the newly formed Union of India. At present, the region is incorporated as a part of the Indian state in Gujarat state.