(Last Updated on : 18-08-2012)
The Princely State of Khandpara was one of the well known princely states of India that was administered by a native prince under the guidance of the British authorities. The princely state was under the indirect control of the British Empire in India
. The former native state of Khandpara was located in Orissa
. The region covered a total area of 244 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 87,341 in the year 1941. The state was bounded by the region of Narsinghpur in the northwest; by the princely state of Baramba
in the northeast; by the British districts of Cuttack (Province of Orissa) in the northeast; by Puri
in the southeast; by the princely state of Nayagarh in the southwest; and by the princely state of Daspalla in the northwest. The former princely state of Khandpara consisted of 325 villages in the year 1901.
The territory comprised of different pieces or khandas including the 4 forts of Khedpada, Sardhapur, Ghuntsahai and Kadua. The native state was incorporated as a part of Orissa States Agency, which was a sub division of Eastern States Agency
History of Princely State of Khandpara
The princely state of Khandpara was established during the 17th century after the native ruler or Raja of the state of Nayagarh granted the 4 forts with their villages in maintenance to Jadunath Singh, who was his second son. His descendants extended the territory by conquering the provinces that belonged to neighboring rulers. The ruling family initially held the title of Mangraj, but later the monarch or Raja of Puri bestowed the title of Bhai Mardraj Bhramarbar Ray upon Raja Banmali Singh, a later ruler of Khandpara, for his defense of the territory of Orissa. The native ruler of the princey state of Khandpara held the title of Raja. The rule of male primogeniture, through which the first born or eldest child of the same parents inherited the entire estate of one or both parents, to the exclusion of all others, was followed in the succession of the throne or gadi of the princely state of Khandpara.
Administration of Princely State of Khandpara
The Raja of Khandpara state exercised very limited civil and criminal jurisdiction and took charge of the administration of the state. The native ruler also supervised the internal aafairs of the region. The Political Agent of the British East India Company
, also known as Resident of British India
, managed the associations of the native ruler and the princely state with the British administration and other Indian princely states. The native ruler of the Khandpara state was one of the original constituent members of the Chamber of Princes
, which was a number of smaller states indirectly represented by 12 princes who were elected periodically by them.
Accession of Princely State of Khandpara
The last native ruler of the princely state of Khandpara, who was 13th in line from the founder of the state, acceded the territory to the newly independent Union of India after the political withdrawal of the British Government of India
from the country on 15th August 1947. After the country was divided between India and Pakistan, the native rulers of the states were given the choice of acceding to either the Union of India
or the Dominion of Pakistan. The Raja of Khandpara state decided to merge with the Republic of India. At present, the region is incorporated as a part of the Indian state in Orissa (Odisha) state.