(Last Updated on : 10-07-2012)
The Princely State of Pethapur was one of the renowned princely states of India that were administered by native rulers or Indian princes
under the indirect control of the British Government of India
. The state covered a total area of 11 sq m and comprised of a total population of 5,444 in the year 1941. The estate of Pethapur, which was situated on the right bank of the Sabarmati River
, lied a few miles towards the north of Ahmedabad
, in northern Gujarat
. The territory included 2 villages and the town of Pethapur. The native state was an enclave within the district of Barodan in Kadi. The taluka of Vasna was located towards the northeast of Pethapur state. The former princely state of Pethapur was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub division of the Western India States Agency
. Later the territory came under the administrative control of the state of Gujarat. The estate was also a part of the Sabar Kantha Agency.
History of the Princely State of Pethapur
The Waghela Rajputs
were the ruling family of the princely state of Pethapur. They were descendants of a branch of the Waghela monarchs of Anhilvada Patan. One of the sons of the last Raja of Patan, Sarangdev or Simamshi, was granted the region of Kalol and the adjacent villages as an estate. Himaloji, also known as Hemtaji, who descended from Sarangdev in the 10th generation, killed his maternal uncle, named Pethaji, of the Gohil tribe in 1445. Himaloji seized control of the territory and named the region as Pethapur, after his uncle.
The native rulers of the princely state of Pethapur, who held the title of Thakor, exercised restricted civil and criminal jurisdiction. After the initiation of the railroad and development of other trade routes, Pethapur suffered to a great extent with loss of business as it was a busy mercantile center during the 19th century. The state was unable to recover the loss and remained indebted. The territory came under Agency management and later in the year 1940, the state was attached to the princely state of Baroda
, under the Attachment Scheme of 1943. The Thakor of Pethapur was ranked in the 4th Class of Mahi Kantha states, before the class system was abolished in the year 1928.
The last native ruler of the princely state of Pethapur acceded the territory to the newly independent Union of India
after the political withdrawal of the British Government of India
from the country on 15th August 1947. After the country was divided between India and Pakistan, the native rulers of the states were given the choice of acceding to either the Dominion of India or the Dominion of Pakistan. The monarch of the state decided to merge with the Republic of India.