History of Princely State of Jigni
The Bundela Rajputs were the ruling family of Jigni. During the year 1689, Chhatarsal of Panna granted Padam Singh, his eldest son, the pargana of Jigni and the seat of Jigni town. He was given the title of Rao. But as Padam Singh was born of a junior Rani (Queen), he was not permitted to succeed the ruler and ascend to the throne of Panna. Later the original jagir was reduced to great extent uring the invasion of the Maratha Empire. During the period of the occupation of Bundelkhand by the British East India Company, the state of Jigni comprised of only 14 villages. Although all villages were confiscated initially, but later 6 villages were restored by a sanad in the year 1810. They were again seized in 1840, following a rebellion by the native ruler of Jigni and other rulers of the territory. But in order to avoid upsetting the entire class of rulers in the Bundelkhand region, the native ruler or Thakor of Jigni and all villages in his estate were reinstated.
In the year 1934, a member of the ruling family of the princely state of Ajaigarh was adopted as the native ruler of Jigni state, who held the title of Rao. A member of the ruling family of Jigni was adopted by the ruler of Charkhari and succeeded to the gadi of that princely state in the year 1920. The Princely State of Jigni was a non-salute state. The Rao of Jigni state exercised the powers of a ruling chief and supervised the administration of his state. The native state was originally held in garhiband tenure.
The princely state of Jigni was one of the original constituent members of the Chamber of Princes, which was a number of smaller states indirectly represented by 12 princes whom they elected periodically.
After the nation attained independence through the Indian freedom struggle, the last Rao of Jigni, who was the 8th of his line, acceded the territory to the newly independent Dominion of India, which was formally known as the Union of India.
|More Articles in Princely States of India (466)|